Kitten bitting - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Kitten bitting

Our foster group, Paws Patrol, has a kitten who bites when you pick her up. Does anyone have suggestions on how to break her of this. It will be hard to get her adopted if she bites potential adopter checking her out. She is apx 8 weeks old. Still with her mother and siblings. Has had human contact from the beginning. She is just a wild child! Id appreciate any suggestions at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 01:27 AM
Cat Addict

do you thing its playful biting or defensive biting?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 01:29 AM
Super Moderator

A couple things to try....

Don't pull your hand away....push back on her. It surprises them and they don't like it. Or make a big production of letting her know it hurts, yell or loud make believe crying. Both sounds she won't like.

It's hard at that age, they tend to have ADD and aren't likely to pick up correction too well. But you can start it and hopefully the new family understands enough about cats that they will work with her. I'm sure there are many people who it wouldn't scare off, but just as many that it will. And you certainly don't want to adopt her to a family with young kids if she's going to be mouthy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 01:37 AM
Super Moderator

Cali is 3 months old now and still a biter. I'm working on it, and she's getting better. I'm using Doodlebug's suggestions.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 03:25 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Don't pull your hand away....push back on her.
That's what worked with my little chomper. He was 10 months old when I got him and he bit HARD! When he tried to bite, I pushed my hand (or arm or whatever) towards his mouth instead of pulling away. I only had to do it a few times before he figured it out.
Hope it works with your little guy and he finds a great home!

Victoria
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 07:02 AM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Don't pull your hand away....push back on her.
Very important to do, it works very well. I am trying to stop Neko from biting when he A)Hungry and B) really cuddly to the point of over stimulation. I really didn't know what to do. I was told to push what he is biting towards him which can be really hard to do especially with those quick nips where your reflexes tell you to pull away. But I did do it last time he bit and he looked so offended LOL, it worked great! SO I try my hardest to do that now. So he bites and a arms pushes itself into his mouth.

Also don't hold the kitten for long periods right now and don't put him down as soon as he bites. Hold him and wait for a few seconds after he stops to put him down.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Thank you, I will pass this on. All good tips to help.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell
do you thing its playful biting or defensive biting?
No its the type of ruff housing biting that kittens do with each other. Except hers really hurt. Its her initial responce when being held. She is wild and a wiggle worm! No one has hand played with her to encourage this either so it seem mistifying why she is so agressive.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Some of them are just that way. Holly is a nibbler, she loves to take your hand and just chew on it. The difference is that she is very, very gentle. I discouraged it at the beginning, but instead of it completely stopping her she ended up backing off on how hard she was biting. It worked for me, it's actually pretty cute and isn't painful at all. She does it with almost everyone she meets, no one has an issue with it, in fact they usually comment about how sweet it is.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page