New member Max is being a bully all of a sudden - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

New member Max is being a bully all of a sudden

Hi all!

Sure hope you can help us out here. Max usually is the most timid of our four rescues. He and LilBit came to us about five years ago. We went on vacation and left them at home to be tended by neighbor. Now Max is sooo aggressive with LilBit and all she does is hide. When we went away this time we put Max at the vet's for a 'time-out', but he's still chasing LilBit. Help!!! and thanks!

CeeCee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 03:42 PM
Kitten

Hi, we have 2 long time cats that have always loved each other until about a month ago. At that point the one dog was not feeling good so we took her to the Vet's and found she had some liver issues. So, we took the one cat, Sally and had her tested, and found out she also had lover issues, so she's on meds now, but the aggression still hasn't stopped so tonight the male cat Benji is going for tests. I'm betting it's liver too.

They all had flea contol applied about 5 weeks ago and that's when this all started. The dog and cats are all over 9 years old. The other dog also had flea meds, but he's 3. No change.

It may be a coincidence or the flea control, will find out more tonight, but it's worth thinking about.

Jackie
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Ceecee...please give us some more info...how long ago was the first trip? Did it ease up after a couple weeks or did it remain the same in between trips. How much time between trips? How long were you gone this time and how long have you been back?

I'm trying to figure out if you're dealing with a 'oops I forgot who you are, you smell funny' kind of thing caused by the separation. Or if there's some long standing issue here like maybe a case of re-directed aggression while you were gone the first time. It just be stress related to you be gone. More info will help.

Sammy's mom...what kind of flea control were you using? There are known problems with products like Hartz.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Max the bully

Thanks for your responses!
We were gone for 11 days in September; that's when we noticed the fighting. Just before that trip, we had had painters here for a week.
We weren't home but about 5 or 6 days when we left for another short 4 day trip; that's when we put Max into the vets to separate them. LitBit was her old self the first night of our return (we hadn't picked up Max until the next morning) and it all started again...
I mentioned this to our vet today and she suggested a homopathic remedy in their food. I'll try it in the morning in their wet food; don't know how I'll get it in them otherwise. She also said if this doesn't work, she could try regular medication, but I hate to do that.
The bad thing is we're having our floors refinished next week, so everything will be a mad-house again for a week. I'm thinking instead of just putting them on the back porch like I had planned, maybe we should put at least those two at the vets. What do you think???
I feel very guilty about upsetting their routine; I know how important it is for them (and me ) but; what are you suppose to do???
Oh, about the Hartz flea med; one of my sons used it on his dog and the dog had a bad reaction to it. I can't remember now if it was just skin problems, but I'd never use it myself.

Thanks for ya'lls help!!!
CeeCee
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 12:01 PM
Kitten

Actually, we got everybody Advantage liquid for flea control. Vet visit last nite Benji also had some liver issues and some blood in his urine.

Vet said it's a possibility the flea control could have caused problem (The three are all seniors), so we're going chemical free this year.

So the dog is on supplements, the two cats are on Clavamox (antibiotic) and homeopathic remedys.

Jackie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page