2 new kittens - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

2 new kittens

Hello all. I am seeking advice reguarding two kittens that were left at the vet hopsital i work at. I am a receptionist there, and do plan on asking the vet i work with for some advice, but wanted to hear some other opionions. Ill admit that i am a HUGE dog person. Ask me antyhing, and most likely i know the answer. As far as cats, i can answer medically related questions, but behavior wise, im CLUELESS.

On saturday, i was working and 4 kids come running up to me with a shoe box. "omg lady, their is a kitten in this shoebox. I just found it in the woods. Its meowing i dont know what to with it". I took the box back, opened it up and behold 2 kittens! They were taped inside a shoebox. Upon examining them, They were COVERED, i mean COVERED in fleas and very dehydrated. We treated them with advantage multi, dewormed them and tested them. Health wise, tehy are great.

I just brought them home an hour ago. THey are playing with eachother right now, running around and playing with the little mice i got them however whenever i come near them, they run or cower to a corner. Im not sure the proper way to socialize them. Should i pick them up and pet them, let them eventually come to me.....im at a loss.

also, they are not litter box trained, how do i go about doing that? Ive always thought kittens just made their way their themselves but they kinda just poo where their standing. BTW they are 8 weeks old

THanks in advance!!!

Also, the male kitten needs a name. I named the female Pixie. Cant think of a boy name. SUGGESTIONS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

It's going to take some time for them to get used to you, especially if they're feral kittens and haven't had any human contact up to this point. I wouldn't push myself on the them. Leave them to themselves and see if they eventually approach you. Keep things relatively quiet and calm for them.

Regarding litterbox training. Make sure there is a box in the room that they're in, at 8 weeks they will not remember to go to the bathroom or bedroom etc. from the living room. We just had someone on the forum with a similar problem solve it by getting Kitten Attract litter (I know there's Cat Attract, but she said Kitten Attract...it may be 2 different products). If it gets to the point where they allow you touch them quickly, then pick them up and put them in the box when you see them getting ready to go. If not, put the box very near where they're playing, hopefully they roam into it and get the idea.

Congrats on the new babies...we'd loooooovvve to see pics!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 06:18 PM
Cat

What I've always done when dealing with super shy or feral cats is I let them approach me at their own pace. I make sure they know I'm the one providing the food, and while they're eating I like to sit some distance away, just quietly with a book or something. After a while (this could take a few weeks) I've noticed many cats will come around on their own and want to sniff or interact. I hold out my hand for them to sniff without trying to touch them and I feel like that makes them feel safe. Once they've gotten a bit used to me I'll lightly pet them-scratch their heads, etc but I back off if they act frightened. I do try to avoid picking them up when they're scared unless I really need to. It does take a lot of patience, but if you take your cues from them I bet they will come to trust you very quickly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Miss Grace, Normie and Cleo, you will never be forgotten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. They will crawl up my leg and when i pet them they dont seem scared, just theyd rather not be picked up.

I just noticed, they are eating their kitten litter. I am using Fresh Step Clay. Im not sure if its the clumping kind..it doesnt say so i dont think it does. I know their can be issues if kittens/cats eat the clumping litter. Should i do anything?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Eating clumping litter is definitely a problem. Non-clumping not so much, but I would still deter them.

Glad they're climbing your leg and getting petted. Many cats don't like to be picked up, it may or may not change over time. But you do need to get them used to you handling them like that in case they ever need meds, for clipping their nails (something you should start as young as possible) etc. You probably already know this, but the proper way to pick up a cat is to put one hand under their belly just behind the front legs and use the other hand to support the back end. It's very easy to just pick up a kitten one handed, but they may not like the dangling in mid-air if that's what you're doing.

All in all, it's been a huge change for them, so they'll just need time to settle in.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page