Toby making lots of noise! At 4am!!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Toby making lots of noise! At 4am!!!

Toby has always been a talker. He loves talking to me and has an amazing range of cat sounds. My favourite is the little 'chirps' he gives me sometimes. Real cute.

He has always woken me up meowing for his breakfast at about 6am. Which is fine, as this is when I wake up anyway.

However.

Recently he has started meowing at 4am! 4am!!. Geez. I've ignored it but my flatmate has given in and given him breakfast before 6 . He did so again this morning (at about 5am according to my clock) and I thought 'well at least he will shut up'. But he didn't. He kept meowing even after breakfast. Ugh.

What is he after? Love and snuggles? And how do I get him to stop? Ignore him completely and try to get my flatmate to do the same? He has a really loud meow on him and he does keep us awake. You should have been us both bleary eyed on the sofa this morning.

Toby is such a demanding kitty. I hope he doesnt think we are neglecting him

(and. no Lisa, you arent allowed to laugh. I saw how you poked fun at Marie )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 08:50 AM
Banned

Re: Toby making lots of noise! At 4am!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melysion
And how do I get him to stop? Ignore him completely and try to get my flatmate to do the same?
Yes. Your flatmate is actually enabling and encouraging the behavior. If you want it to stop, you have to ignore it completely.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Toby making lots of noise! At 4am!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melysion
(and. no Lisa, you arent allowed to laugh. I saw how you poked fun at Marie)
You're so funny, Allie!

Cleo woke me up at 4:00 a.m. this morning, too, getting sick.

then Cinderella woke the babies up, so I had to listen to them cry until they settled back down. There was no way they were getting up at 4 a.m.

Tim is right, I think you really do have to ignore the little guy and get your flatmate to STOP feeding him earlier than 6 a.m.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

Ahem! I don't think Allie is so funny!

But Toby waking her up at 4am is...hahahahahahahah!

On the upside Allie...at least he didn't hit you with a bat!

But seriously...cats will wake up and get rambunctious about 45-60 minutes before breakfast time. So if he normally eats at 6, he'll wake up around 5ish looking for food. If flatmate get aggravated and feeds him at 5:30, then after a while, he'll start getting active at 4:30 ish...and so on. I've found the key is to feed the cats just before I leave the house...it takes me about 45 minutes to shower and get dressed etc. So they get fed after that...which means they're waking up at the same time I do.

So...I would change his feeding time to when you leave the house. And completely ignore him till he gets the message.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 10:02 PM

Just a little bit of info!

My cat, according to everyone in the world, and especially those who live with me.. is the quietest thing in the world. I never knew! Know why? I'm deaf

If that's not a tip, I don't know what is She never meows - for ANYTHING. Play, petting, food, attention... never. LOL.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 11:08 PM
Banned

Yes, cats meow mainly for humans. If you and your cat don't communicate using sound, then there's no reason for her to meow.

But now you've got me curious -- how DO you and your cat communicate?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster
Yes, cats meow mainly for humans. If you and your cat don't communicate using sound, then there's no reason for her to meow.

But now you've got me curious -- how DO you and your cat communicate?
I don't know. I just know, I guess. I see her and know what she wants? I never thought bout how I know these things. I'll check next time lol.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug
Ahem! I don't think Allie is so funny!
But Toby waking her up at 4am is...hahahahahahahah!
You can go off people you know, Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug
So...I would change his feeding time to when you leave the house. And completely ignore him till he gets the message.
Thats a good tip. I shall start doing that and try to convince my flatmate to do likewise.

We had a peaceful night last night though thankfully. I do a martial arts class on Wednesday evenings and don't get back until really late. Toby has been fed his dinner by my flatmate and he has gone to bed before I get in. I usually just have enough time to give Toby his supper and me a cup of tea before stumbling into bed. But seeing as Toby wasn't fed until gone midnight - he didn't wake us up at all. Slept right though until 7am! Must have been because of the late supper.

I'm still tired though because I went to bed so late but at least my flatmate had a peaceful night.

Is Cleo not well Marie?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

She's fine now, thanks. She had me worried, though. She had thrown up a little at dinner time, but it was undigested so I figured she ate too fast. At 4 a.m., she leapt off the bed, which woke me up, and then I heard her getting sick - at least it was on my Sunday crossword puzzles that had falled off the bed. I'm just glad it wasn't on my bed.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page