wall paper - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

wall paper

My kitten is about 5 months old now and she has start pulling off the wallpaper border is there anyway to train her not to do this most things she has learn't not to do as if she is naughty she gets put in her cage for about 10 minutes and she doesn't do they again at least for a little while but the wallpaper pulling she does when i am not looking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 03:48 PM

I dont have an answer but...

I would like to know what to do too. I have 4 female cats will be turning one soon. They have been doing it since they were a couple months old. Our Kitchen wallpaper is destroyed from them tearing at it with their claws. We tried spray water bottle with a loud firm "No!". That was a bad idea cause one of our cats enjoys the water being sprayed at her. Only thing we can do is strip the rest of the wallpaper and paint over it. I am worried they will do the rest of the wallpaper through the house.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 08:07 PM
Banned

You have to provide an alternate scratching surface. Cats need to scratch and they'll scratch on whatever gives them the best scratch. It sounds like these cats like to scratch paper so I'd suggest one of the cardboard box scratchers, like this:

cardboard cat scratcher

and they also come in a flat version. Get one, put some of the supplied catnip on it and see if your cat likes it. If your cat uses this to scratch, then I'd suggest getting several and put them near the places that they've been scratching. When you see them scratching the wallpaper, gently redirect them to the cardboard scratcher and praise them effusively when they use it. The first couple times you might have to put their paws on the scratcher so they get the idea that's what it's for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 08:59 PM
Premier Cat

Tim has good advice about redirecting their scratching to another scratching surface. Here's my cat's favorite cardboard scratchpad. It's cheap, too, about $1.89

Punishment is cruel, and cats don't respond to punishment
a) because they are really stubborn by nature; that's part of what makes them good hunters
and
b) they are instinctively geared for living in an outdoor environment that can be incredibly harsh, so anything a human might do doesn't really phase them.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

mine has loads of different things that she should be scratching she picks at the wallpaper like a child would

Also is it normal for a cat not to like Catnip Princess won't play with anything that has it in
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 07:09 AM
Premier Cat

I read somewhere that only 1 out of 2 cats have the "catnip gene" that makes them respond to catnip. Personally, I think it's more than 50%, but not all cats get "high" from 'nip. How old are your babies? Very young cats don't usually react to catnip.

John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

4 months old
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 08:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by caritas
mine has loads of different things that she should be scratching she picks at the wallpaper like a child would
How about those cardboard scratchers? Do you have those? All I can think of is that you don't have the kind of scratchers that she prefers, and/or they're not located in the right places. Also, have you done the redirection thing? When she's scratching at the wallpaper, redirect her to a nearby scratcher? She has to learn to associate her impulse to scratch with the cat scratcher. You can only do that right at the moment she has that impulse.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Is she actually scratching and tearing the wallpaper or picking at the seams? If she's picking at the seams, that's a behavior more like someone sitting at a bar picking the label off the beer bottle....If the seams are lifted a tiny little bit, it's easy for her to get her claw in it and once it starts pulling away, it's fun to grab onto and rip. I would make sure all the seams are securely glued down...they make glue (and, I think, a tool) for this purpose. Another thing that would help is regular claw clipping. If her nails are blunt, they're not as likely to snag. Clipping would help if it's a scratching behavior too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 10:59 AM
Premier Cat

But when you clip her nails be careful to only clip the thin, sharp part. Don't clip down to the quick, as that will hurt her and can easily cause infection.

John
eternal angel Arianwen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page