Need help, please! Kitty behavior problem - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Need help, please! Kitty behavior problem

Recently I've been noticing this strange yellow liquid in the sink in my spare bathroom. I didn't think much of it, I even asked my husband if he was using the sink as a toilet but tan early one morning I catch my kitty using the sink as his litter box! I notice the liquid at least once a day so I know he's doing it at least once a day than using his litter box the rest of the time.
Has anyone experiencedthis? How do I make him stop? I know it's better than the floor but it doesn't smell well. My hubby empties the liter box at least once a day sometimes twice so I don't understand this behavior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

When a cat suddenly starts peeing somewhere besides their litter box and nothing has changed that could stress them out (e.g. you haven't changed litter brands or location of the box or had someone new move in the house etc.), then the mostly likely culprit is a urinary tract infection or crystals in the urine. Both are painful and the cat associates the pain with the box and they avoid it.

So, first step is a vet visit. If that proves to be positive, a few days of meds and he should revert back to normal. If he's negative, then it's behavioral and we'll have to help you figure out what's triggering it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

I forgot to mention that we recently moved into a new house and we did change his litter brand. So all of those issues apply to me. We've been here for alittle over two weeks and he's been using his new litter for two weeks and he just started doing this on Sunday. He used his new litter for a week with no problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

OK...that's 2 major changes at once. He could not like where the box is located, he may not really like the new litter, it could just be the stress of the move (sometimes it takes a while to surface).

I would recommend a first step of going back to the old litter to see if that corrects the issue. You can get an additive put out by Dr. Elsy's...it's a herb mixture that is used to attract the cat to the box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Need help, please! Kitty behavior problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libie
...I even asked my husband if he was using the sink as a toilet..
You've already gotten great advice, I just wanted to add that this made me laugh out loud at my desk!

Welcome to the Forum - I hope the suggestions work.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page