Do cats have seperation anxiety? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Do cats have seperation anxiety?

I wonder how sane my kitten is a lot of the time but mostly it's for funny reasons. Like trying to leap at the fishtank or chasing her reflection on the coffee table. All in good fun However the last couple of days I have noticed that the kitten, (dang can you beleive we still haven't decided on a name for her?!), has been my little shadow. I really have to watch when I walk around or I will step on her. If I leave a room and she doesn't notice when she does notice she starts meowing as loud as she can. Truthfuly since she is so little that isn't very loud, but she's definitly making a good attempt. I'll call to her but if I am in another room instead of say in the kitchen or the dinning room from the living room she doesn't attempt to find me, just keeps meowing. So I step around the corner from the spare room so I can see her and call her again. This time she turned her head and saw me and came running just as fast as her little legs could carry her, crawled up my leg (thankyou levi for blue jeans!!), and made it all the way up to my shoulder where she started purring and tried to suckle my ear. This has happened several time in the last couple of days. I think I have noticed it more this week because I have been off early all week or not worked at all. When we are gone we close her in our bedroom and normaly she goes right into the bathroom to check out her little box and her food dishes and we leave. When we return she is more often than not sleeping under the bed but if we are home a few minutes and she hears us she will meow at the door. I looked at the carpet and it does look like she scratched a tiny patch of it and then on the bathroom door frame are teeney little teeth marks. If I am going to be gone for very long I do close her up in the bathroom with her litter box so hopefuly we won't have anymore accidents on the bed. I should mention that anytime I sit still she is always curled up in my lap or on my shoulder unless she is just to wound up and then she will be chasing the dogs around the living room. Honestly though if given the choice she would be perfectly happy to play with her mouse or a ball in my lap.

Oh and I guess I should mention that she is 6 weeks old now She seems perfectly content in our home except if you leave her in a room. Is she just telling me I should get her permission before going into another room. She is well on her way to being queen kitty if thats the case!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

I could have sworn I named her "Angel" because she was a little fluff of heaven. hmmmmmm

She sounds absolutely adorable!

Cali will follow me everywhere. She can be right next to my face sound asleep while I'm watching t.v., and I'll get up during a commercial to get a soda or go to the computer, and the next thing I know, she's right there!

Angel (just kidding ) might not really understand the concept of traveling through the house yet, but she'll learn. My babies learned very, very quickly that if I shut one bedroom door, they just need to go through the living room to come through my other door.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 05:26 PM

Since she is very young, she could also just have adopted you as her new Mommy, and since you don't have other kittens, she will be seeking out your company more often than a kitten with playmates.

My two kittens, who are five months now and brother and sister follow me from room to room, even though I have two other cats they love, and after living with us for four months... I think the younger you get them, the more "humanized" they become, and they just get to be more dependent on you than your regular kitty.

Is she alone in the room when you lock her up, or does she have the company of the dog? If she is alone, then you might want to leave a radio on when you leave, at very low volume, just to keep her company.

All in all, sounds like your little friend is going to be a great, cuddly kitty!
She is adorable too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73
I could have sworn I named her "Angel" because she was a little fluff of heaven. hmmmmmm
*giggles* but she acts like a little devil!!! If she isnt cuddled up sleeping on you she is rampaging through the house! Can you believe she is regressing in her litter training and has taken to peeing on the bed and in one particu;ar corner of the dinning room! She pee'd on my velvet vampire cape I had out because I am going to a halloweened themed wedding next friday. It was laying on the bed for five minutes and then all of a sudden it mysteriously has a really funky smelling puddle on it. Poor kitty hasn't totaly gotten the hang on the litter box yet.

Yes she is alone when I lock her up because I leave food out for her while I am gone. The dogs will eat the food lol. Plus one of them seems to have forgotten his housemanners and can't be let into the bedroom area. I do have a cd player/radio in the bedroom that I can leave on. I could stick it in the bathroom on the counter too. Why didn't I think of that? I just got home actualy after being gone and hour and a half or so and so far I havent heard a peep. I guess I will do a little of what I had to do with the dogs, and not make a big deal about comming and going so she doesnt make a big deal out of it. I'm still trying to learn how to commincate with her.

I feel really bad about having her as an only kitten and having her so young. That definitly wasn't the plan
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

I can't say having two would be any easier. Mine tear the house up 24/7!! I think having a partner-in-crime makes them even wilder than if there was just one.

It may not have been planned, but she has a great home now.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page