jumping up on counters - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

jumping up on counters

Mickey has been such a rowdy cat lately--this after already getting "fixed" and declawed over a month ago. As of this week, he is constantly jumping up on the kitchen counters! I realize cats like to do this--but is there some way to deter him from doing this in the kitchen?? I have no clue what all he does when we're not home! He also likes jumping up on our dining table, and I haven't been able to get him to quit doing that! I have a spray bottle, but lately I think he thinks it's a game...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 09:16 AM
Banned

This is a battle you can't win. He's shown that he's determined to be up there and anything you do to deter him, he'll find some way to do it anyway, and the deterrents are going to be more nuisance to you than they're worth. Just accept your fate........
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 10:38 AM
Premier Cat

Tim has it right, just bow down to the master now. You will only get tired if you continue to try and fight this battle for it is already won .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 09:27 PM
Tom Cat

I have never allowed my girls on the counter, but they didn't put up a fight. However, I don't have a clue what they do when I am not home. On the rare occassion that they do jump on the counter I give them a firm "NO" and pick them up and put them on the floor.

A friend of mine had alot of problems with her cat jumping on the counters and she refused to give in. She would put tinfoil on the counters when she wasn't using them and her cat wouldn't go near them. I don't know if tinfoil would deter other cats, but it might be worth a try. Or you could just give in!

Katie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 06:23 AM

It's an on-going battle here too... Nikki is my worst offender. There is nothing I can do or say to make him NOT jump up on the counters. He does it when I'm here, when I'm not here. Digger will do it occasionally too... I've just learned to live with it... and clean the counters more often!!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 11:15 AM
Cool Cat

My problem is that now my cats have decided that since they're not allowed to jump on the table... jumping on the table and sitting there is a good way to get my attention when they want me to stop doing whatever I'm doing in favor of important things like FEEDING THE CATS!

I'm starting to wonder if I should ignore them when they do it, but teaching a cat that she's not allowed on the table by ignoring her when she jumps on it seems counter-intuitive to me.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 05:47 PM
Banned

You need to understand that you can't teach a cat what they don't want to learn.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 06:57 PM
Cool Cat

When my cats are doing something bad (usually trying to get on top of the gerbil tank) I make a high pitched squeaky noise (the noise most people use to get a cat to look at them) then I charge the cat while I squeak so I look like some crazy lunatic then I pick him up and put him on the ground. It gets frustrating at first since you'll have to do it over and over until he figures out you are relentless. I think it works for us and the gerbil cage so well because they are allowed to swat at and stare at the cage as much as they want they just can't go on top. So they still get their prey fix.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 03:53 PM

Be persistant. I've trained our kittens well now. Say "nooooo" in a low pitch, like a growl. If they don't jump down then gently push them off. If they persist spray them with a water bottle. They soon get the message.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 06:52 PM
Banned

And what do they do when you and the spray bottle aren't around?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page