Problem with one of my male cats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Problem with one of my male cats

I have 4 cats, 2 males and 2 females. The two males are brothers from the same liter, are about 2 years old and have both have been neutered. One of the males (Forrest) has episodes where he wants to attack one of the other cats. Its hard to explain. hes not violent, hes not scratching and clawing. Hes more like stalking and pouncing to the point where whomever he's playing with is in danger of getting hurt and usually ends up running and extremely afraid. The subject of his aggression has been a very dainty 1 year old female who has not been spayed. I have started separating them while I am not at home. since then I believe his attention has been redirected toward the other female who is not spayed and about 9 months old. Occasionally he acts this way to his brother also. These episodes tend to be mostly in the morning and late evening. Does anyone know why he may be doing this and if I can do anything to deter it? Thanks for your help. I just found this site but I love it already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 11:27 AM
Cool Cat

Welcome.
I would get the females spayed as they will give off a scent when they are in heat. Your guy may be reacting to the scent and redirecting his frustration.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 06:54 PM
Banned

When you say these episodes are in the morning and in the evening it leads me to think they're just normal cat exuberance. He's just playing, albeit more aggressively than you're used to seeing. At his age, he's not an adult yet, so he's got kittenish tendencies in a full-size cat body. The play behavior is probably also being overlaid by a dominance behavior. I doubt that even your young, dainty females are in too much danger of being hurt, and even they can defend themselves pretty well if they're not declawed. But if you're concerned, separating them is fine.

When you say that she runs away and is "extremely afraid" can you be more descriptive of exactly what she's doing and what she looks like when she's doing it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page