Introducing Kitten to Cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
m-k

Introducing Kitten to Cat

I have a 1 year old female cat, and I am looking to have another one, however, it will be a male cat and he is 4 months old. They met for the first time yesterday, and my cat was hissing and growling everytime the kitten went to near, at a distance they were both fine and when the kitten hid, my cat was curious and was looking for the kitten. I don't want my cat to feel jealous and its hard to tell whether shes happy on her own or not. My gut reaction is to have the kitten but I am worried that my cat will not take to him. Any advise??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

Cats need to get used to each other, they're very typically not instant friends. Google 'new cat introduction' and you'll get tons of articles on techniques to use that involve keeping the new kitten isolated for a while, swapping linens to allow them to get used to each other scent etc.

The techniques are all solid, but the most critical aspect is your judgment as to how they're progressing and when they're ready for the next step. There's going to be some hissing and growling, as long as it's not an all out fight...stay out of it and let them work it out.

If a fight does break out, don't intervene with any of your body parts...you'll get hurt. Use a squirt bottle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 08:33 PM
Premier Cat

Here is a website with an excellent library of information
on everything youll need to know about your cats including cat to cat introductions

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 08:48 PM
Banned

Are you looking to get another cat because you want another cat or because you think your cat needs a playmate?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 10:04 PM
Premier Cat

I actually think it sounds promising that Cat went looking for kitten. Keep the intro times low-key and just let them get used to the sight/smell of each other and eventually they will adjust.
You could also feed them their own bowl of wet food and slowly set the bowls closer and closer. Not right next to each other, but a few feet apart and maybe pet each one as they eat so they will get used to 'good things happening' when they are in sight of each other.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
m-k

I want another cat for both reasons really, I would like one and would also like my cat to have a play mate, don't want leave it until she get older as she may not be very playful!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 09:00 AM
Banned

Both cats are young. There's every reason to think they'll get along just fine. Your best chance at making that happen is following the steps in the introduction process. Here's one article published by the Humane Society: Introducing Pets to a New Cat and you can find more by googling as doodlebug mentioned.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
m-k

Well, the 4 month old kitten arrived on Wednesday PM and my cat hates him. She can't stand being around him. Wednesday and Thursday were really bad, my cat was hissing, growling and trying to paw him. Now she is hissing less but will still occassional growl or hiss. They came face to face on a few occasions without a hiss and they can both sleep in the same room but my cat hasn't been herself. She seams miserable, doesn't want to play unless he's asleep or we're outside. Will this ever work out or does little harry potter return to his original home. This is driving me mad and it is upsetting. I no its only been a few days but i want my cat to be happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

What introduction techniques have you tried? Frankly, they shouldn't have even laid eyes on each other Wed or Thurs. The new kitten should have been separated in his own room.

But...since they're sleeping in the same room and are even interacting face to face without hissing...it sounds like it's going pretty well. It often takes several weeks to a few months for things to be completely calm. When I brought Holly in, Kobi was grooming and cuddling with her within days. On the other hand it took Maggie 5 months before she completely accepted Holly.

Yes, your first cat is going to be upset. You need to give her special attention time without the kitten there. Her whole world has been destroyed by this little invader and she's going to need time to adjust.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page