Help!!! Kitty war not getting better, but worse. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Help!!! Kitty war not getting better, but worse.

Sorry for the long post. It's a saga.

My husband and I have three kitties. When I was single and living alone, I got Mabel (female), my first cat, who is now 8. Then I got Lola (female) when Mabel was 4. Lola, who is now 4, quickly became the dominant cat, getting all the attention and food - Mabel lost a lot of weight and became very withdrawn, even though she was already a pretty independant girl. They didn't like each other, but after a year or two they tolerated each other, and could even be caught grooming each other.

My husband got his kitten, Peanut (female, now 3) when he was living alone.

When we moved in, miraculously, Mabel started to gain weight and become generally happier and more content. I assume it was because Lola and Peanut became mortal enemies and Mabel was left pretty much alone.

But problems have been escalating with the war between Lola and Peanut for alpha cat. I think the problems stem from the two HUMANS... My husband has his number one girl, Peanut and then I have my number one, Lola. Peanut and Lola cannot even walk past one another without hissing, growling and almost always sparring - clumps of fur, sometimes blood.

And then there are the bathroom problems. Peanut has always liked a smooth surface. She started out pooping in the bathtub. We shut the door, so now she goes on the basement floor right outside the litter boxes. We have four boxes with litter, plus three empties. She will pee in the bathtub now, too, but since the door has been shut, she will pee in the empty boxes. Sometimes, though, I'll find a dried puddle of pee in the basement.

The other day, someone left the bathroom door open and I caught Lola peeing in the tub! WHAT? Now her? And since then, I've found her peeing in the empty litter boxes in the basement, once on husband's hockey bag, and once upstairs in an empty cardboard box. AUGH!!!

Now, add to this interesting and frustrating mix the incessent clawing and scratching. All three work the carpet in the front hall, the wicker chair and my new, very expensive rug. Not to mention my great-aunt's tapestry chair. AUGHHH! They wear soft claws but still do damage. And I have three scratchers.

We've all lived together for over two years - and things are still tense. We recently moved, though, in July. I just want everyone to be happy, get along and do their business where they're supposed to. Anyone have some advice for me? My hubby and I love our kitties so much, and we only want them to be content.

Sorry for the long post.
Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 04:09 PM
Cat Addict

1. Get several feliway diffusers (they are cheapest over the internet, shop around). They will help with the stress levels.

2. Get the random pee-ers tested for UTIs. Cats with UTIs frequently pee outside the box. They also prefer a smooth cool surface like a bathtub, a sink, linoleum floors, etc. Feels good on a burning bottom...

3. Maybe try just putting out an empty litterbox with no litter...see if you can get them going in one place at least...instead of all over the house.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

i will for sure try the feliway - i had just one in the bedroom, but i think i'll need to go out and get a few more... *gulp*

i have a vet appt tomorrow... will let you know what comes of it.

i have several boxes with no litter - sometimes they use it, sometimes not.

thanks A TON for the input!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 05:55 PM
Banned

I think this situation has become too complex for a do-it-yourself solution. I suggest you engage the services of a feline behaviorist. Your vet could provide you with a reference. If your vet offers behavioral consults you should insist on an in-home consult. I really don't think a complete picture can be gotten unless the behaviorist visits the cats' own environment. If your vet can't provide a reference, your local Human Society or Association should be able to.

Best wishes and good luck.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

excellent. i have an appt this weekend - i go to a cat-only vet, so they should be able to reccomend someone.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page