Kitty being SUPER picky with wet food - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Kitty being SUPER picky with wet food

well i've been feeding butterscotch his canned food for about a month or so, with no problems. but now he is starting to get really picky. i put some water in it so it's easier for him to eat/lap up. but now all he's been doing lately is just drinking it, and leaving the chunks behind. and he then bugs me again as if he's hungry, but there is food down there, just his left over food. i put his food on a plate, so hopefully it's easier to eat. but he seems to be getting lazy and not making any attempt to eat it. any help??
i make it a little watery as well because i put his pill in it, i crush it up a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

Do you give him different flavors or brands? He may be getting bored. He may also be objecting the the pill being crushed up in it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 11:34 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
He may also be objecting the the pill being crushed up in it.
That would be my bet. I'd start there and see what happens.

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 08:49 AM
Banned

Mellie won't eat chunky food, either. Just absolutely won't. Hunger doesn't make any difference.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

all he does is lick up the watery food. i only give him a little food just enough to get the pill down, then i give him more later on but not as watery, and he just sorta 'drains' the liquid out of the food. i've watched him a coupel times and when the liquid is mostly gone, he tries to eat the rest of the food ut can't seem to because it's a on a plate. i dont think a bowl will work. plus he licks the food off the plate and onto the towel underneath. he even wastes food, and the cans are from a vet so they aren't like 50 cents each.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 05:21 PM
Premier Cat

With my kids I have to pile it up for them. If they spread it out they don't like it, so I stand there while they eat with a fork making little food towers until they are done. I don't think they can get ahold of it as easily when it's spread out. We do this with both pate' or chunky style.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 02:57 PM
Premier Cat

Leazie, the image of you standing there with a fork so you can re-pile their food is really hysterical. The things we do!

Holly and Murphy
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 03:48 PM
Cat Addict

Kota often seems overwhelmed by how much liquid is in his food (1/4 cup is a lot of added water). He's better now, but for a while he wouldn't start eating until I spoon fed him part of his bowlfull. If I stopped too soon, he'd just sit there. Sometimes I'd have to trick him into continuing to eat by putting the spoon in his bowl and leaving it there.

Thomas would rather have dry food. So most days he only eats a tiny portion of his wet food. So, I follow him around the house with his plate. I find that if I offer it to him a second, third, or fourth time, he'll eat more.

Of course I feel stupid holding the plate up to the top of the cat tree or feeding him on the piano...but, whatever. Lately he's been eating in a cardboard box in the kitchen...I've been calling it his man-cave or his clubhouse. Since the little boys are eating their food up on the counter and this is the place for the grown up boy.

Whatever it takes...that's what I'm willing to do for these goons.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leazie
With my kids I have to pile it up for them. If they spread it out they don't like it, so I stand there while they eat with a fork making little food towers until they are done. I don't think they can get ahold of it as easily when it's spread out. We do this with both pate' or chunky style.
I do the same thing for Isis! She is a slow eater, and just seems to have a hard time if the food is spread on the plate - while the other three have bionic tongues and lick up their food in a giffy... so I pile up the food as she goes with a fork, which allows her to eat a little faster. In the meantime I also have to fend off attacks from the other kitties who would love nothing better than vaccuum up her food.. The things we do, indeed
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

I still have to stand over Cinderella like her own little Meerkat lookout sometimes. I don't know why, she just keeps checking to make sure I'm standing there. I guess a bird of prey could swoop down and pluck her away at any time.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page