1st ever kitten - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

1st ever kitten

i got my first ever kitten 2 days ago and im not sure on a couple of things so if u can help id really appreciate it :D.

1. my kitten keeps trying to get behind the tv as the front of its very open and theres no glass infront. if she gets behind it will she be ok because of all the wires?

2. she keeps going underneath the sofas and im concerned because there electric reclining sofas (weve unplugged them) but is she alright going under there with all the wires and metal bits because im worried she'll get hurt.

3. how can u train a kitten not to jump up on tables and surfaces u dont want them to?

and if you have any tips and advice on kittens please let me know :) thanks alot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Re: 1st ever kitten

1. my kitten keeps trying to get behind the tv as the front of its very open and theres no glass infront. if she gets behind it will she be ok because of all the wires? This is a danger to kittens as they love to chew, you need to find some way to block her access.

2. she keeps going underneath the sofas and im concerned because there electric reclining sofas (weve unplugged them) but is she alright going under there with all the wires and metal bits because im worried she'll get hurt.Yes this is a danger as well. You will need to be very careful with recliners and a kitten...they love to play underneath and there is a danger of them getting their head or paws caught in the mechanism. Closing a recliner when a kitten is in the wrong place could kill it. And again chewing wires is a concern.

3. how can u train a kitten not to jump up on tables and surfaces u dont want them to? There are various things that people try (double sticky tape, tin foil, squirt bottles, and devices meant to startle the cat), but they rarely work with a determined cat. At best you get a cat that will stay off these surfaces when you're there. When you're not, they do as they please. There are a few exceptions, but for the most part it's a lesson in frustration. I gave up on this years ago and make sure I keep thing I don't want them to get at away from these areas and I make sure to clean the counter before cooking.

Sounds like you need to kitten proof your home, the same things you would do if you had a toddler in the house...keeping in mind that kittens can get into much smaller spaces. Here's an article than will help:

http://cats.about.com/library/howto/htkittenproof.htm

Welcome to the forum, you find lots of good info here. What's your kitten's name? How about posting some pictures...we looooove pics!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Re: 1st ever kitten

Thanks for the advice. :).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 05:24 PM
Premier Cat

Congratulations on the new kitty. Any pictures that you can share?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 10:47 PM
Banned

And keep in mind that cats are very good at coming up with new ways to challenge your creativity at cat-proofing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page