Why do my cats act the way they do - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Why do my cats act the way they do

To make a long story short I brought home a young female stray cat,she didnt look much older then 6 months old.Well about a month later she gave birth to 7 kittens. SO I got a package deal when I found her. But that was a year ago and we kept 4 of the kittens which are all SPAYED females. One of the 4 cats will let you hold her and she is really loveable. But the other 3 are a little different,they will come rub up against you,let you pat them. Infact one of them will reach up to you and try to pat your face with their paw when she is in purring mode. They will not let you hold them no more than a few seconds.If someone comes to the door,knocks,my dog barks and the cats will growl. I was just curious the part of them not liking to be held for more then a few seconds and growling when they hear or see something that dont belong here.They were born and raised from day one in the house but their mother was stray/feral is that why they are acting the way they do? Do they have feral blood in them? I know probably a stupid question but I guess if I dont ask I will never know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 11:09 PM
Banned

Cats are individuals; each is a unique creation, with a unique personality. Personality is a combination of genetics and environment. The combinations are infinite. So every cat, even littermates, is going to act differently. Enjoy the variety.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 12:12 AM
Premier Cat

I suspect they don't like to be held because they were not made to get used to it as kittens.

Marmalade, whom I bottle raised, does not like to be held. He acts like he wants you to pick him up but as soon as you do, he stiffens up and I can tell he is not comfortable and just wants down/away. Since him, I've learned to over-handle all kittens I am socializing. Picking them up, laying them on their backs and just generally getting them to trust us. Sometimes you have to make them do it, until they can get past their mental-block and realize it actually feels good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 06:26 AM
Premier Cat

We have one kitty that we raised from age 3 weeks. It has taken 5 years for her to like to have my hubby hold her. She's always enjoyed laying on my lap, but he worked hard to get her attention.

Our youngest is about 10 months now and she's not happy being held. She'll flop and roll all over the floor if you pet her, but pick her up and she's upset. We respect her boundaries, and are just happy that she tolerates us..lol.

One thing that I love best about cats is their independence and unique personalities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 07:25 AM

My Smudgie is not feral, and he hates being picked up. However, my feral Silkie, loves being picked up. So, as others have said, cats are really individuals.... even littermates.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Yup, they all have their quirks...and figuring them out is our challenge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 10:41 AM
Cat Addict

Personalities can change too. All her life, Kitty HATED being held. She doesn't even like to sit on my lap. But she is VERY attached to me. Gets depressed and anxious when I go on vacation, etc. She always needs to be near me...just not ON me. If I picked her up, she'd be all claws untill she managed to squirm away.

Either way, I've noticed that in the past 6 months or so, she doesn't seem to mind if I carry her around the house. I think she's finally figured out that if I'm carrying her, the boys can't get to her...like a moving cat tree with blocking defenses.

So...it only took her 14 years to accept being carried. I figure maybe when she hits 20years, she'll start sleeping on my lap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page