At wits end. Can someone help? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

At wits end. Can someone help?

Okay so yes i have animals in the house but the shedding on the carpet isn't the problem because i keep it under control with my vaccum cleaner.
The real problem is at night time when all the lights are off and everyones asleep my cats decide to get on my kitchen corner and stove. Whatever it is, they like the kitchen and they are I guess sleeping and just shedding all over the place. I've caught them on the corner a couple of times and spray them with a water bottle and they just jump down. But every morning I wake up to find cat fur all over the corner and stove. I'm so tired of having to clean and disinfect my kitchen. This is an on-going process of cleaning and I can't stand it anymore!!! Its to the point that either I find a way to stop this or the cats have to go. I DON'T want that at all so can someone please HELP!

Methods I've tired.
Spray bottle
cardboard with 2 sided type on it
foil paper (b/c i heard the hate the sound it makes) YEAH right i caught Mitzi sleeping on the foil.
Please can anyone help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure how big of an area you're talking about, but if there's some reason I really don't want Cleo to jump on my counter, I have several 2-litre bottles I line up along the edge of the counter and she has nothing to land on and can't jump over them. It keeps her off until I get home or get up.

You'll probably get some better suggestions. Good luck!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 04:34 PM
Premier Cat

They are cats. They will jump and get on flat surfaces to survey their domain.
You have already tried some methods that haven't worked. Either you give up and let them have at it. I mean, how hard can it be to swipe a papertowel or Clorox-wipe over the surface before you make food? Be happy it's just hair and not pee.
Or, you can up the ante...use a scat-mat that will give their feet a little electric charge when they walk/land on it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

It's pretty difficult to keep a determined cat off the counters. And even when you do, it's often only when you're around...when you're not, they do as the please. You've tried a couple of the suggested methods. They also make devices that detect the motion and either make noise or spray air....but I wouldn't count on success.

I gave up a long time ago and just wipe down the counter when I cook...it's not that big of a deal for me.

Other than that...the only thing I can suggest it putting doors on your kitchen (if possible).

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 04:51 PM
Banned

Cats are cats. They *can* be trained to not do things, but in my experience they tend to do whatever the heck they like

Toby is on my kitchen tops all the time. I deal with it with antibacterial spray. I'd much rather do that than even consider re-homing my cat! In fact, a cat walking on the worktop is no excuse at all to rehome - in my humble opinion of course.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Most of the time, Cleo is allowed on the counter, because if she doesn't finish her food by the time the babies get up, I put her dish on the counter and she'll eat it a little while after I leave for work. I only had to show her twice and she got it!

Pretty soon, this won't work because at the rate they're growing, they'll be on the counters by Thanksgiving.

post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 05:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73

Pretty soon, this won't work because at the rate they're growing, they'll be on the counters by Thanksgiving.
Sprouting like little weeds are they Marie?
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

I'll need a wide-angle lens for their five-month birthday pictures.

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
Or, you can up the ante...use a scat-mat that will give their feet a little electric charge when they walk/land on it.
Yeah if you really do NOT want them in a particular place, I think that is your best bet... a scat mat, or a piece of carpet runner with the sticky side turned up. But do not underestimate a determined kitty
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 05:12 PM

If you can't keep them off the counters maybe you can at least reduce the shedding. Here are some tips if you don't practice these already.

1. Brush your cats a few times a week
2. Make sure they are eating a high quality wet food like Innova, Wellness, Natural Balance etc.
3. Supplement their diet with fish oil - here is a link to a product I have used before

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/ ... 17005.aspx

Please don't give up yet. It would be ashame to rehome such beautiful babies just because they jump on the counter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page