two new cats boy acting odd - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

two new cats boy acting odd

Hi,

This is my first visit to the forum so please be gentle, last weekend we collected our two new family members from the Cats protection league, Merlot, and Syrah, boy and a girl, both 2 years old, had all thier ops and jabs.

At first they were extremly nervous and after a week they still are a little but, they have improved loads. One thing I noticed last night, they were fine all night up untill around twenty past ten, when all **** broke loose, they were chasing each other round fighting all sorts, merlot (the boy) all when he visits the litter tray he tries to cover it up like most cats do but, he doesn't stop until all the litter, and the paper underneith has been shoved in a corner, and most of the litter is on the floor. I go into see he, and he comes out two minutes later he's back in thier scratching at the walls and the litter again. It drove me and the missus mad last night, he was at it for probably around an hour.

Is there anything we can do to help him to stop, id like him to just cover it up once and leave it at that.

Thanx

Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 10:56 AM
Premier Cat

How many pieces of toilet paper do you use? How many does your wife use? Can you change how many you use, please?

Your kitty has his own bathroom haibts, just like people do. Their sense of smell is much better than our own and I'm sure he is trying to get rid of the evidence the best way he knows how, which is an ingrained instinct and will be difficult to modify this behavior.

I would suggest getting the largest, hooded litterbox you can find. These boxes are usually very deep, too. I have several that I use for kitties in recovery or for fostering and I can put litter into them to a depth of 3". That gives the kitty plenty of sand to move around and cover waste.
The large box gives them room to maneuver and not step in their mess as they turn around to inspect and bury. Another thing the larger box does is allows for kitty to not disturb OTHER waste already in there. Perhaps your kitty is spending an hour burying because he uncovered something else and now has to bury that, too.
The hood keeps most of the litter inside if you have an enthusiastic scratcher and it will also prevent kitty from scratching at things outside the box, like the walls and floors.
Keep the box somewhere away from where you sleep so you are not disturbed.
Feed kitty a good quality food, as better quality food makes for less stinky poos.
Finally, use a good quality odor-control litter.

As to the "Evening Crazies" as we call them, it is just part of cat-life. They are nocturnal and when they get-to-feeling-good they need to run around and blow off that energy. You can eliminate a lot of this by having a rousing good play session before bed and evening meal. There are several toys that can elicit their play behavior; stuffed animal toys to throw and catch, laser lights to chase and da'bird wands to wave around for jumping and catching.
We love watching the evening crazies, they are very entertaining. Much better than TV.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with Heidi that a large covered box will help with the scratching situation. I'm also assuming these are kittens you have? If so, they tend to just like to play in the litter...it's something he'll outgrow.

Around here...the crazies also seem to follow a good bowel movement. Sort of like 'wow, I feel 10 lbs lighter....got run around and celebrate' . But yes, playing with them is a great way to burn of their energy and get everyone ready for bed...including yourself.

Welcome to the forum...hope you post some pictures of the little monsters!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 12:06 PM
Cat Addict

He's peeing okay when he's in there though? Just checking, that sound like when Kota has a UTI. In the box, out of the box, in the box, out of the box...repeatedly.

If there are a bunch of little tiny pee clumps then you have a health problem.
If he's peeing in a nice sized clump, then behavior issue.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome!

I had a cat that would bury and scratch and scatter the litter all over until I distracted her. I actually had to get her attention to make her stop. I think she was a little OCD about the litter box. But as soon as I got her interested in a toy or something else, she would stop. Not sure if that will help you.

And I have two sister kittens that are four months old that run and play and wrestle nonstop until I put them to bed at midnight. Are you telling me that keeps going until they're two years old or older?

And, yes, please do post pictures!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

I`m starting to think hes a little OCD about his box, (thought it was a joke OCD and cats) this morning I got up to find all the litter shoved into a corner a large lump of it on the floor around the box and all the newspaper underneith torn to shred and scattered around the box.

we've tried settling them down at night just before we got to bed (this morning 3am) but they wont have it. My wife decided to name them Syrah (Girl) and Merlot (Boy), I wanted to name them Chaos and Mayhem.

Doodlebug: they seem to start thier funnies at around 10:30 and it really just runs (so to speak) through the night, next morning thier usually ok playfull but not like they're on speed like in the evening. I would have thought theyd tire theyre selves out without me interveining.

Just had a look at those covered litter trays, and was thinking could I not use thier cat boxes I bought them home in, or would they be a bit cramped they look similair sizes, please tell me if I just being a bit stupid though?

I get some pics up tommorow.

Craig
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugs_whats_up_doc
could I not use thier cat boxes I bought them home in
You mean their cat carriers? No those aren't appropriate for use at litter boxes. Usually not big enough and too shallow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugs_whats_up_doc
all the litter shoved into a corner a large lump of it on the floor around the box and all the newspaper underneith torn to shred and scattered around the box.
When you say all the litter is shoved into a corner...are you using enough litter? The box should have litter about 3 inches deep. If you don't have this much, you may be seeing so much scratching because he isn't satisfied with the coverage. Also...what kind of litter are you using? And what are you using for a litter box?

I wouldn't recommend newspaper under the box...getting a litter mat will eliminate the problem of shredding the newspaper.

The night crazies...cats are nocturnal, this is what they tend to do. How about a snack or meal before bedtime? A cat's natural routine is hunt, eat, groom, sleep...get up and start over. So if just before bed you play (hunt), then give them a meal, the tendency will be to groom and sleep. Won't stop them from waking during the night, but should hopefully give you some peace at bedtime.

This may also quiet down a bit as they settle into the house better.

Chaos & Mayhem....I like it!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 10:36 AM

I use one of those big plastic storage bins they sell. I cut a hole in the end for an entrance. Like Heidi said, make sure there's lots of litter inside.The deeper the better.( Easier to scoop that way) If you're around when he goes, couldn't you just scoop it out right after he goes? Just a thought.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

yep found out today whilebuying some more litter I wasnt using enough (Did the male thing, didnt read th instructions), ill try more liter and see what happens, we have been usig the wood style litter but, its a bit expensive so we've switched to the grey gravel type stuff (Hope you know what I mean), the litter tray I gt from wilko's its a proper tray, but obviously no lid, its about 4 inches deep.

ill try to evening snack beore bed and see what happens.

Sorry if all this is VERY basic, iv never ha to deal with kity litter, and because they are house cats, thats an aded extra iv not dealt with.

Thanks

Craig
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

No problem, we're glad to help. Sometimes it just takes a bit of reading between the lines to figure out what's going on.

You're probably still going to find a lot of litter outside the box using a pan like that. Either a covered box or a storage tote with high sides are your best bet.

While we're very happy to help, you probably ought to consider reading a book or two on cat care and behavior. I'd recommend Pam Johnson Bennett's Think Like a Cat.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page