inappropiate defecation - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

inappropiate defecation

Hi - I am in desperate need of some effective advice. We were a two-cat household however last september I introduced a third cat. She had been in the SPCA for five months but was very well behaved - never scratched, bit, tolerant of any kind of handling. It took some time, is still taking some time, for all the cats to settle down but they are getting better with each other.
She has started defecating on my parents bed. It isn't constant. It's only happened three times however if it happens again my dad swears all three cats are going to go (one I've had since I was six years old).
We had a full vet examination done when we first got her so I don't think it's a health issue. I know she isn't avoiding the litter box becuase I've seen her in it - I've become hyper-sensative about cleaning it because this has become such a large bone of contention in our family. I've tried peppermint sprays and Fellaway...that may need a little more time to prove itself, but I need a solution now. Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 08:17 AM
Cool Cat

First, have your parents keep the door to their room closed.

Their bed linen needs to be cleaned with Nature's Miracle (or similar product), then dry cleaned. There is always a lingering odor that we can't smell that will attract them.

How many litter boxes do you have and where are they located? (Thinking that one of the others may be keeping her from the box)

Can you keep her in your room whn you are away or are asleep, with a litter box? This may be the best temporary solution.

We usually keep the door to our bedroom closed when we aren't home. My husband accidentally left Zoey in the room once when he left for work (he leaves after I do). She let him keep that she was mad at him by peeing on his side of the bed. We did the proper cleaniing and make sure she is out of our room before we leave - and no repeats.

Good luck.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 06:45 PM
Banned

You wrote "litterbox" in the singular. Just have one box? That's most likely your problem and the first thing I'd address. The rule of thumb is one box per cat plus one, so with three cats you should have four boxes. I'd start with four split up two apiece in two locations. If everything goes smoothly, you can try cutting back on that and see how it goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for responding! I should have clarified - We have three litter boxes, however they are all in the basement which is only accessible through one door.
I think you might be right about one of our cats though...I've started walking her down there for regular trips and this last time Nova, my brothers big Bengal, flipped on me for it. He can do some damage when he wants.
Thank you for helping me - I'm going to try putting a box in a different room of the house.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 10:25 AM
Banned

Let us know how it works out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page