Cat Dog Introduction - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Cat Dog Introduction

Hi everyone!

I got my first kitten a few days ago, she's a gorgeous little black Oriental.

I have a one year old dog as well, and I honestly believed that my dog, who has never seen a cat before, would want to kill it. As it turned out it's the opposite.

I introduced them on opposite sides of the screen door, and the kitten went crazy. She was hissing and her claws were out, and my poor Staffy was terified.

Is there anyway to introduce them without anyone getting hurt? Has anyone had the same problem?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 02:20 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome! You'll get lots of good answers and advice tomorrow, it's kind of late over here, so you're stuck with me, who has no experience in this situation. But if you do a search for the key words "introduction" and "puppy" you might find some threads about this subject. Lots of our members have cats and dogs. Your kitty sounds adorable.

My sister was in the Air Force and stationed in Woomera. The nearest place to go was Adelaide, and she spent almost all of her time off there. She fell in love with Adelaide and Australia and planned to live there once she got out of the service. Things didn't work out that way, but Australia is definitely #1 on other countries I'd like to visit someday.

We'd love to see pictures of your kitty and dog.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 02:24 AM
Super Moderator

Here are some threads that may help you. They might not be right on point, but maybe there are some suggestions that may apply:

https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t ... uction+dog

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 09:01 AM
Banned

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 06:10 AM
m-k

I introduced my staffie to my kitten last november, my dog just wanted to play, however, my cat was hissing, growling and trying to scratch, however, after a few slow introductions to each other my cat soon realised that there was no threat, the hissing etc stop.

My cat will just run out of the way ifshe feels like my dog is getting to excited and she may paw out occassionally, its the new kitten I feel isn't going to well at the minute, but don't worry, they'll soon get used to each other, it just takes time.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 06:17 AM
m-k

Accuse the mess - in the process of refurbishing, this picci may give you some hope!!!!!!!

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 10:04 AM
Cool Cat

First off, M-K your dog is BEAUTIFUL, I love his color!

Now for introductions, I wrote this a while ago on another forum so I'm just copying and pasting. it was written more for a dog with problems with the cat but it will get them used to each other just the same.

There are a lot of ways to introduce them, and luckily it is much easier to get a resident dog to accept a new cat than it is to get a resident cat to accept a new dog. You should give the cat his own room with food water and a litter box, come and give the kitty attention and play time. get a towel and rub the cat down with the towel being sure to get the entire towel full of the cats scent. Then put the towel under your dogs food bowl when you feed him so that he associates the cats smell with good things, do the same to the dog for the cat. Do not do any meetings for a couple of days after you get the cat to make sure the cat is settled in. After a couple of days put the cat in a crate and let the dog come in and sniff the kitty through the bars. If your dog shows any aggression (barking grabbing the crate with teeth, a lot of growling) then remove the dog from the room. Next time try with your dog on a leash and have him sit by the crate to keep him from getting over excited. Do this for a couple of days and then put the dog in a crate and let the cat walk around and sniff him. Give the dog some treats for good behavior. You can also switch the pets by letting the dog come into the cats room and letting the cat have the run of the house for an hour and then switch them back so that they can get used to each others smell (careful, some dogs love the taste of litter box poop). It is also recommended to feed the pets on opposite sides of the closed door so they can hear and small each other but can't hurt each other and they are also associating each other with good things. You can eventually bring your dog to the doorway of the cats room and using a leash or a baby gate allow the dog to watch the cat from the doorway. Use a baby gate for many of the introductions as if the cat is comfortable enough you can entice him to come over to the gate so that the cat and dog are eye to eye. Do the gate intro a lot so that they become very use to each others presence. You can eventually bring the dog into the cats room and close the door, have the dog on a leash and have him lie down, and you can sit next to him telling him how good he is. the cat will most likely come and sniff the dog and will also probably hiss especially if the dog moves. That's all right just keep the dog lying there. The cat will also prefer if the dogs head does not turn toward him. If the dog seems really mellow with the cat, you can back off but keep the leash on the dog in case he starts chasing or snapping at the cat. If the cat can't run much than the dog will not chase so having the cat in a smaller room would help. For a few days do these meeting where you bring the dog in and have him lie or sit for a couple of minutes and then let him up and walk around the room Once the cat is comfortable and they both seem good with each other you can open the door and let them out, keep a close eye on them and make sure you know where the cat is as they can be very mischievous there first times out. For the first two weeks or so that you let him have the run of the house i would have the cat sleep in his room at night and be in his room whenever you are not there. over time you can let the cat out at night and when your not there but be very careful at first only letting him out alone for short periods.

Depending on your dog and cat this could take longer or slower than i have said. With my first cat we were not sure how Max would react so it took about a month. With the second cat we knew Max was good with cats so it only took about three days (although the second cat did not like max as much as the first one). Like i mentioned earlier if you get a cat that is already used to dogs it may be easier, as the cat is more likely to come up to the dog as opposed to hiding, and will also be less likely to run causing the dog to chase. If the dog does start to chase say come or leave it and praise him with a treat for responding.

When you first let the cat have the run of the house it is helpful to keep the gate up at the door of his special room so if he is spooked or just wants to get away from the dog, he can climb the gate but the dog can't.

I hope that helped, just remember to take it slow!!! The cat will eventually get used to the dog once he learns it's not going to eat him and isn't some foreign alien thing that poses a threat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page