Question About Being Quiet vs. Vocal - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Question About Being Quiet vs. Vocal

Rookie is a pretty quiet cat. The majority of the time, she doesn't make a peep. Lately, though, she'll have periods where she meows really loud for a good hour. She doesn't seem distressed; just loud and vocal as she walks around, making figure 8's around our furniture. The only thing I've noticed is that she does it when she's alone with me, and not around my boyfriend. Any idea what that's about?

Holly and Murphy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 01:01 PM
Banned

Sounds like what Rocket does, and he does it a lot, and I'm pretty sure he does it when he's restless, dissatisfied, unhappy, complaining, or trying to tell me something I don't understand.

I'm not saying that's why Rookie does it; the context in which it's done is the basis for understanding. Though the first thing I'd suggest is trying to give some playtime or some other kind of attention when she does that. Rocket doesn't like playing, so that doesn't work with him, but sometimes just giving some intense solo attention calms him down.

It's kind of like things build up to a certain level and he doesn't know what to do about it. I noticed that already when he was little more than a kitten. He was like a cranky two-year old. When he got that way, I'd get him calmed down, put him down for a nap, and afterward he'd be just fine.

Go figure.......I never wanted kids; how did I end up with three of them?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 02:17 PM

I can't tell you why Rookie does this, but I would say be careful with rewarding her behavior with playing or attention... do it in a subtle way, don't be a dummy like me: when I got Isis and Mew, Isis would do that sometimes, so I would respond to her, talk, and play... now she does it everytime she is bored. For hours on end if need be. The only way we have been able to stop her from doing it at night is to confiscate all toys before we go to bed, but now Mew has decided to give it a try in the middle of the night too

Just a word of caution, but I do hope you don't have a vocal monster like mine on your hands (I guess I have only myself to blame for accidentally encouraging them in this way)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Cat

That sounds like a behavior that's definitely directed at you...she sounds like she's trying to get even more of your attention. If you've already played with her and given her lots of attention, I agree with not reinforcing her behavior. It's almost the same thing with children-some get so used to us playing with them and entertaining them they forget that they can entertain themselves for a while. Emanon is doing something similar, on a much lesser scale however. Since his ear is better and he's rediscovered the joys of playing, he definitely wants a lot more attention. He's not extremely loud but he'll walk around me and chirrup and meow for my attention. His bad habit is if he really wants my attention he'll claw me lightly. And then I jump up and get whatever he wants because he's old and he's SPOILED. Don't be like me!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Miss Grace, Normie and Cleo, you will never be forgotten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page