indoors defecation - never happened before - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

indoors defecation - never happened before

Hi, we have a persian cat, 2 years old. He was a stray that kept coming to us so we adopted him. We let him go outside freely, and he always defecates outside, never been a problem before.

However, recently he has been starting to defecate indoors. It has happened 3 times already. Help appreciated, cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 10:11 PM
Premier Cat

Is he spending more time indoors? Do you have a litter box for him in the house?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

To my knowledge he has been spending the same amount of time indoors, but i'll ask my family.
And no, we dont have a litterbox as there has never been a need for it before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 10:26 PM
Premier Cat

Sometimes you never really can tell why a cat suddenly decides to do something. I think an easy remedy here would to simply provide your kitty a littlerbox. Even indoor/outdoor cats need litterboxes when indoors. I'm surprised your kitty made it so long without having an accident before. That's a good kitty!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Hmm ok thanks, will do.

Is there any particular reason though? No problem for a year then suddenly 3 times in 2 days. Seems like somethings going on to me
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 10:33 PM
Tom Cat

Is it getting colder where you live? Maybe it's colder out and he doesn't feel comfortable going out there when he could go inside.

Katie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Actually lol its almost summer here in New Zealand
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 11:26 PM
Premier Cat

There really isn't anyway to know. If you want peace of mind, you can take him to the vet to be sure there isnt' anything medically wrong. Otherwise, cats just do things in mysterious ways. Though, once they eliminate in an inappropriate place they are apt to do it again because they can smell it. If he keeps going in the same spot, you are lucky because you can put the litterbox right there!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

ok thanks
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 12:16 AM
Premier Cat

I'd say there is a good chance he was disturbed while "taking care of business" outside and now does not want to have that happen again. When a cat goes potty, they are very vulnerable. Tinkling is fairly easy to stop and run if a threat presents itself but it is difficult to stop pooping in mid-poop.
Another thing could be that perhaps he felt the need to go right away, and he was stuck indoors? If you have a cat door where he can let himself in/out, I guess that is out of the question as a reason.

I have an outdoor/indoor cat who will not use the litterboxes so I MUST be sure he is let out regularly so he can go to the bathroom. I do not have a catflap because I have other housecats I do not want outside.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page