One step forward, two steps back.... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

One step forward, two steps back....

So, I've had this neutered male cat for a while (he's about 2 1/2 years old now), and he's always been on the independent side, but I started worrying about leaving him alone so much since my work hours increased. So I got him a two month old spayed female kitten. Great idea, right? Well, at first he was hissing and freaking out and she was being obliviously annoying to him, but after about two weeks, they seemed to be getting along swimmingly. They play often, cuddle together, sit together, and the only time he seems irritated with her is when she wants to play and he doesn't. However, his behavior towards me has changed completely. He'll look at me and meow and act like he wants something, but he won't let me give him any attention AT ALL. I've tried putting her in a different room for a while so he and I can spend some quality time, but he's completely stand-off-ish. I feel like I'm losing my first kitty! Can someone tell me what's going on?

Frantic in California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 02:36 AM
Super Moderator

Well, the good news is your plan worked and he has a buddy. Sounds like that's going quite well. Also sounds like the bad news is your plan worked and he has a buddy. (Although I'm sure it's only temporary.)

Bringing another cat into my house didn't solve the buddy problem, unfortunately. Cinderella was first, and she and Cleo co-exist. Getting the kittens recently has given Cleo playmates, but she still likes being with me. And Cinderella just wants more and more attention from me.

You've probably already tried your usual games and giving him special treats, so I'm at a loss. I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice from other members. It's kind of late, so probably more replies tomorrow.

Welcome! We'd love to see pictures.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 12:04 PM
Banned

Things change. Cats are intelligent creatures. They change with time and circumstances. We can't expect them to be the same for the rest of their lives. Right now your two cats are going through a bonding phase and preferring their own company to yours. That'll probably change. Just be patient and enjoy watching your cats mature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page