Cat bitting, dont know what to do! Any advice will help! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Cat bitting, dont know what to do! Any advice will help!

Hi I have a 1 1/2 year old male tabby cat who I can't get to stop bitting or attacking. He's done this since a baby and I have try everything and nothing has seemed to work. He is so unpredictible and a lot of the times wants to be held and petted but then if you do something he doesnt like he will nip or bite you. Also if we have people over he acts all skittish or will sit next to someone and then they go to pet him and he will bite them. Or if they are just sitting there doing nothing sometimes he will just jump at them. At this point everytime he does it to me or my boyfriend we spray him with water which seems to work for the moment but it doesn't stop him from doing it again. A lot of the time he doesn't bite hard or anything like hes not doing it viciously but it still hurts. When he was a kitten I had made a post and did what people were telling me but I think I kept trying different things and never was consistent on one and thats why it never worked. What can I do now to get him to stop? Or is it too late? I dont know what else to do but he can't keep doing this! I made a post a couple months ago and no one responded please help!! Why is my cat doing this? I have never had a cat who bites! Any advice would help! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 02:08 PM
Premier Cat

Sounds like he is irritated when people initiate contact with him...OR...he wants to play. If he wants to wrestle and play, get him a kitten to rough-and-tumble with.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Any other ideas?? anything will help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 12:18 PM
Banned

Re: Cat bitting, dont know what to do! Any advice will help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbchick22
Hi I have a 1 1/2 year old male tabby cat who I can't get to stop bitting or attacking. He's done this since a baby and I have try everything and nothing has seemed to work. He is so unpredictible and a lot of the times wants to be held and petted but then if you do something he doesnt like he will nip or bite you. Also if we have people over he acts all skittish or will sit next to someone and then they go to pet him and he will bite them. Or if they are just sitting there doing nothing sometimes he will just jump at them. At this point everytime he does it to me or my boyfriend we spray him with water which seems to work for the moment but it doesn't stop him from doing it again. A lot of the time he doesn't bite hard or anything like hes not doing it viciously but it still hurts. When he was a kitten I had made a post and did what people were telling me but I think I kept trying different things and never was consistent on one and thats why it never worked. What can I do now to get him to stop? Or is it too late? I dont know what else to do but he can't keep doing this! I made a post a couple months ago and no one responded please help!! Why is my cat doing this? I have never had a cat who bites! Any advice would help! Thanks!
Some cats are just biters. Its in their nature. My affectionate snuggle bunny is a biter - if he doesnt want you to do something he will tell you in no uncertain terms. And sometimes he will bite me out of affection when i am petting him - as cats dont really know how to express themselves sometimes. Its just the way it is - and I dont see his behaviour changing.

Cats have teeth and claws and - unlike dogs - they arent as domesticated as people like to think. They arent that far away from being wild animals.

This article might help

http://cats.about.com/cs/behavioralissu ... _scrat.htm

but some cats will always bite. We as owners just have to get on with it and love them anyway. I wouldnt give up Toby for anything - teeth marks or no teeth marks.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 12:22 PM
Premier Cat

How is he jumping at the people/you?

My Marmalade and LuckyDuck will jump out at me to initiate play.

LuckyDuck jumps out quickly and stops in an 'aggressive stance'; a little sideways-on to me, head/tail up, ears forward, feet wide apart, paw toes a little extended to grip the carpet for a fast get-away and eyes wide open. I always give a little "Eek!" and jump a little (on purpose) to make him think he is a great hunter, then I pet his head and tell him what a scary cat he is. Sometimes, if I don't acknowledge him he will swipe a paw at my pant-leg.

Marmalade will run sideways towards me with his head/tail up, ears a little back and he will make a little 'cry' noise to get my attention. Sometimes he just runs up towards me and then skitters away, still in this 'play' mode. Sometimes he will run towards me and instead of scooting away he will stand on his hind legs and wave his front paws at me while he makes his 'cry' sound. It is sort of like: "Meeaaaar!" If I reach to pet him when Marmy is in this 'play' mode, he will grab me with his front paws or give a firm bite. If I crouch down a bit and show him "claw hands" he will scoot off and then come back to confront me again with his fearless demeanor.

That is how two of my cats play with me. How is your cat behaving when he does this? Is he initiating play or expressing annoyance at the attention he is being given? Maybe you can get an interactive toy to use to play with him. I like laser dots for them to chase, leather strings because they don't get caught in teeth/claws or feather toys like Da-Bird. You need toys you can play with him and still keep your body parts out of range of his teeth/claws.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 08:56 AM
Jr. Cat

My cat used to bite very badly. Nothing helped. Everybody in our family has been bitten: my mother in law has a huge about 2 inches scar on the back of her leg, i have teeth marks, hubby - same, my mom, my sis, my brother in law.
He liked people and to be around them. But he would still bite.
We had him for 9.5 years and then we had to put him down due to kidney problems.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 02:44 PM

my cat used to bite me, and whenever he did so in an angry manner i bit him back. not hard, i'd just put my teeth on him (usually on top of his head) with a little bit of pressure and he got the idea. he always looked kinda offended too. anyway, he stopped biting. i only did it when he was being angry, never when i was wrestling with him cause those times i knew i was asking for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page