Little Biter - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Little Biter

I got a kitten a few weeks ago after he was rescued... motherless, siblingless, nearly eye-less. Poor little thing got fixed up and is 100% better. He must have not felt well when I got him, as he was a snuggler and lapcat. He's much more energetic and playful now.

He's maybe 10 weeks old now and has become really aggressive and mean. He bites HARD when he is playing. I replace my hands with toys, try to throw his toys for a game of fetch, but he loves to climb in my bed and bite me. If toes are available, he'd gladly bite them, too.

While I'm so glad he's feeling better and has more energy like a regular ktten, does anyone have any ideas on how to cure this once and for all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

One of my little calico kitties is a biter, but she's gotten so much better. When she would bite my feet while I was using the computer, I would pick her up and put her down somewhere else, and I kept repeating this. When she would get into my lap, but then it turned into a biting session, I would put her down on the floor.

When he bites your hand, make your hand into a fist and very gently push it towards him. It will surprise him and he'll stop.

It's tough love, but now Cali knows not to bite or she can't stay near me. And of course she still bites, but it's nothing like before. She'll sit and cuddle in my lap and not bite and will lay down with me on the bed and snuggle.

Some good play sessions might also tire him out a bit and get rid of some aggression.

You'll get better advice than this, but it's worked for me. It didn't happen overnight, either.

P.S. Welcome! Please post pictures when you can. It's so wonderful that you took this poor little boy in. What's his name? (Beans?)

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 07:23 PM
Premier Cat

Can you get him another kitten so he has a playmate?

He is biting you because you are his playmate. If he had been able to grow up with his mother, siblings or other cats, they would have let him know he was biting too hard and they also would have bitten him so he would know how it felt, be reprimanded and learn how to control his bite.

Without other kitties to teach him, you will have to help him learn to control himself.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Cali has Charlee and she still was a biter with me, but I'm sure he would love a playmate.

I don't know what I'd do with just one kitten - they need each other with all that energy!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73
Cali has Charlee and she still was a biter with me, but I'm sure he would love a playmate.
Maybe the twins considered you as a new playmate at first, and then gradually understood that you were the boss?

Wicket and Chewie are pretty brutal to each other, and they would try to nibble on us as tiny 4-week-old babies, but somehow having them so young taught them to see us as "mamma cats" and they never, ever use tooth or claw on us *thank goodness, they do enough mischief as it is*

The "stop playing and push away, ignore for two minutes" behavior every time he bites you is usually very effective. Be consistent, do it every single time, and eventually he will get the message that biting means the fun stops. It might take him a little bit longer to get it because you are the sole being on which he can vent his kitten energy, so I would definitely recommand getting a second kitten, if it is feasible for you. The demands on your attention (and your hands!) will be greatly dimished!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page