I NEED HELP AND ADVISE WITH MY KITTY AND I AM SO WORRIED. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

I NEED HELP AND ADVISE WITH MY KITTY AND I AM SO WORRIED.

Hi there,

I took in a Cat in September who was on the street (I do not know her full background) and then taken in by a local rescue orginazaton who will keep the Cats they find in their home until they find someone who will adopt them. Now, my girl, Mandi, is worryiing me, and I know that we have only been together 2 months but some of her behaviors upset me, and I do not know what to do.

First, when I walk around the house, at times she will scatter under my bed (which I thought was playing), and she does it when I sayher name sometimes. Now, here is some more info: She sleeps in my ned (comes in there as soon as I turn out the lights and go to bed), she greets me when I get home from work (I leave at 5:40 AM and return a little before 7 PM Mon-Fri, and she will meow at me when I am sitting on my bed doing things or writing on my computer. She scatters away sometimes, and one time when I was cleaning and had to close my bedroom door when she could hide under my bed, you can tell she was really afraid. Today something happened that really concerne dme. I was playing with her with one of her toys that hangs from a string, and she started hissing and getting mad when I tried to pull it uo to dangle it and play; I was very concerned about this? Is she ferile, and what do I do, give her more time? I am so concerned and upset. PLEASE, ANY ADVISE IS APPRECIATED.

Quincey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 12:01 PM
Premier Cat

Your kitty sounds like she is exhibiting normal behaviors for a kitty who is unsure of herself. Give her more time to get used to your routine and how you interact with her and she will feel more and more comfortable with you.
Under the bed is her 'safe place' and it would be best to keep that available to her. I always open my bedroom door when I vaccum the house so the frightened kitties can hide.
As to the hissing/growling when you are trying to pull the string toy from her, you are activating her hunting instincts and in a survival mode, she would be expressing her annoyance at her 'prey' for attempting to get away and might be trying to intimidate it. The only other reason could be if the toy is hurting her in some manner, like a claw or tooth stuck in the toy/string?
If she lets you pet her or pick her up, those are all good indications that she is a friendly kitty and I wouldn't let the issue of her expressing her "kitty-ness" deter you from getting to know her better.
heidi

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 03:05 PM

Well, we know she's not feral because she'll climb up into bed with you. The behavior you're describing sounds almost playful. You'll learn very fast by having a cat that they're extremely quirky creatures and they tend to do a lot of things that just make you say "Huh?". I have a year old boy that is as sweet and friendly as could be, but will sometimes bolt away and hide somewhere when I walk in the room (usually though, this is a signal that he's stalking me and mommy's feet are no longer safe!).

As long as she's eating well, using her litterbox and isn't showing any obvious signs of stress and anxiety, she's probably fine. I'm sure she received an exam at the shelter and if they'd found any problems, hopefully they'd have made you aware. Just take some time to get used to her personality and way of doing things, and she'll do the same with you. Don't worry, pretty soon you'll know each other better than you ever thought you would!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 05:29 PM
Banned

Sounds to me like a completely normal cat. I think you just need to learn more about cats so you won't worry every time she does something unexpected. Because that's the way cats are. Get some books from your local library about cats, specifically cat behavior and learn. Good luck and enjoy the company of your cat.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 06:21 PM
Premier Cat

Congratulations on your new little one!
Yup, sounds like a normal kitty getting used to her surroundings.
as Tim suggested, I'd pick up a few books and read up on feline behavior.
and hang around here! I think you'll find some great advice.

Victoria
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quincey, you sound like me. I've had cats now for over a year, and things they do still freak me out. I actually posted a couple weeks ago in a panic because Cinderella was making cooing noises.

Mandi's probably still trying to find her place in your life and your home and being a kitten, everything is new to her. Games, playing, your schedule, you.

All of my cats have very different personalities - even my two new kittens. In fact, Cindrerlla is doing something right this minute that is shocking the heck out of me!!!

Mandi sounds adorable - we'd love to see pictures.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

THANKS EVERYONE

I appreciate althe replies and advise. I feel a bit better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page