Stopping Gracie nibbling my feet! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Stopping Gracie nibbling my feet!

Gracie is developing a very annoying habit. She keeps on nibbling my feet! She doesn't seem to care if she is nibbling on my slippers, shoes, trainers, socks or my skin! She also nibbles on my trousers. She also nibbles my OH's feet too. She does not hurt when she nibbles but it is getting very annoying and I don't want a habit to form! Sometimes she gets carried away and out come the claws then she gets thrown outside!

Any tips on how to make her behave please?? She does not seem to just lie down and rest anymore she is constantly misbehaving.

(Gracie is around a 1 year old rescue cat that we have had for three months now)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 01:44 PM

Every single time she starts nibbling, push her away and say NO firmly. You have to be persistent, and do it every single time, because if you give in once, it will motivate her to try even more often.

Then, what you can do after you push her away is try to distract her from that behavior by throwing her a toy, and play with her for a little bit. It will prevent her from obsessing on your foot out of stubborness.

Another thing, if you say she is getting mischievous lately: increasing her physical activity would definitely help with all that pent-up energy that she spends by doing silly things. Maybe you can get one of those interactive toys like a Da Bird (if you don't have one already), or throw mousies to her for a good half-hour when you get home at night? Cats get excited when the humans get home after spending most of the day sleeping, and playing allows them to blow off some steam - it's also a fun and easy way to bond with your feline friend, and could help spare your toes
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Funny I was planning to get her a Da Bird as her christmas present! Gracie spends the whole day outside so I don't know where she gets all her energy from! Since the winter has started approaching she has become more of a nightmare in the evenings. In the evenings she wants to go outside but the cold and rain stops her! She is very fussy about her toys we have a range of about 5 different toys excluding paper bags, balls, and cardboard boxes. She will only look at one of the toys (which we got free from the vets!) the rest she will not bother with. Unfortunetly her favourite green mouse toy got clawed too often and has fallen apart.

Quick question about playing with her - we have laminate flooring which Gracie hates as when she stalks, runs, pounces then SLIDES!!! We have rugs but they do not cover the whole floor. We normally play on the grass but it is getting to cold for that. Will she get used to the laminate slides?

And another question - How do you get a cat in 'play mode' out from under a table. We have tried squirting with water - did not work. All that seems to work is walking to the fridge and pretending to get some ham!

I am worried that we are training/bribing her too much with food!
i need some better training methods!

(sorry for digression)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 03:12 PM

I have wooden floors at the moment, and it is indeed harder for the cats to run and jump after the Da Bird, compared to the carpeting we used to have. To solve the problem and allow them to jump all they want, I start every play session in the bedroom, so they can jump off and on the bed, and do back-flips without having to worry about hurting themselves. Then, once they have cooled off a little bit, I take them into the living room and drag the toy on the floor so they will run after it, but not jump too high. When they do jump, they most often end up landing on their side, and I feel bad for them, the floors are so hard.

As for the kitty hiding under the table, have you tried wriggling a ribbon, a long string, a peacock feather or something approaching, right out of her reach? You can make it nag at her from behind the foot of a chair, and let her curiosity drag her from under the table - works every time with mine

I am sure she will get used to your laminate floors, you will just have to adapt your games to that new surface. Having a couple of cardboard boxes or kitty tents for the cat to hide in and POUNCE on their toys when you throw them near helps switching from the "run" mode to the "stalk" mode, which is easier on smooth, slippery floors.

Good luck, and keep us updated about the state of your toes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page