PLEASE help. i dont want to give away our kitten :( - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

PLEASE help. i dont want to give away our kitten :(

I posted before..but its still happening and i dont know what to do! obviously its hard for someone to keep a cat that continues to pee on a bed...My kitten is now 12 weeks..it uses the litter box ALWAYS. there is one on each floor. He continues to pee on the bed when im in it, EVEN if he just got out of hte litter box next to the bed. He will just go in it, jump out, and come jump on the bed and pee. He doesnt do this every single day, but it's been often enough.

he's only peed on the top blanket so that has been throughougly cleaned each time.

what do i do?!??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 12:23 PM
Premier Cat

Have you taken your kitten to the vet to check for any urinary problems/infections?
What type of food are you feeding your kitten?
Perhaps he needs more litterbox 'training'...like keeping him in the easily cleaned bathroom with food, water, bed, toy/scratch-post, litterbox. Only let him out with you when you can supervise him. However, first I would take kitten to the vet to be certain there is nothing medically wrong with the kitten. IF kitten has a medical problem and you don't seek treatment, it will not get resolved and he could wind up in serious pain or even die.
h

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

the first couple weeks i left him in his little room with everything there to teach him. then i started letting him around when i could watch him, and then started letting him sleep with me at night ( i wanted to start him early sleeping with me so he'd get used to the habit of doing that). I havent gotten him checked yet, vet appoiintment is in a couple weeks. However, to me, it doesnt seem urinary related since its only on the bed..it doesnt even seem like hes going there to pee since he knows how to use his litterbox. its just very odd. going to try putting him back in his little room at night again and see what the vet says. just never had trouble like this with a kitten before
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe he doesn't like the location of the box in the bedroom. You can also try Cat Attract brand litter.

I read in your other thread that you are washing the blanket with Nature's Miracle...are you using their laundry detergent? Or just adding regular Nature's Miracle to the water? If the latter, then that isn't going to do the job. Regular Nature's Miracle needs to be applied and allowed to dry.

If it's the same spot on the bed, I wouldn't be so sure some pee didn't soak in or there isn't some level of residual smell. Treating the sheets and mattress won't hurt and may help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 10:31 PM

do you clean the litter box often? it may be that he doesn't like to use it if there are clumps. you might want to try scooping it every time he uses it so it's always clean.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 09:20 AM

If there is a medical problem, you would want to have your kitten examined before the next couple of weeks. UTI's can be painful so I would try to have him seen within a couple of days if possible.

Cats commonly urinate outside of the box when they have a UTI to indicate something is wrong. So even though he just does this on your bed, there could still be a problem.

And is there any possibility that he's a little older than 12 weeks, and just tiny? He might just think he's a macho man and may be marking, in which case a neuter might help.[/quote]
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 10:53 AM
Premier Cat

Also...hate to say this becuase it's not a cheap item to dispose of, but I doubt the cats going to stop, now that the smell is there. Often the best remedy (along with finding the reason it started in the first place) is to toss out the item they are peeing on. If they smell it they will do it again. I just tossed out a $300+ area rug, if it makes you feel any better. Though I got a few years out of it and I'm much happier now that there is no cat pee in my living room. Good luck.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 01:21 PM
Cool Cat

To add to what AddFran said...I know with dogs when you are housebreaking them you need to clean up all messes with an enzymatic cleaner. People know where public bathrooms are because there is a sign that tells us to go there, dogs and cats know where to go because it smells like the bathroom. Then once they use it enough they just remember where it is. So find an enzymatic cleaner, which actually destroys urine proteins, to use (like Nature's Miracle) on her messes. Of course mattresses are sort of thick so you'll need to use a lot and get it all out somehow.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 09:34 PM
Cat Addict

I have been there too! so you are not alone, my situation was a bit different, Tiger was diagnosed with FLUTD and after he was unblocked he twinkled everywhere especially on our bed!, I tossed out the blanket, as for the matress since I couldn't afford buying a new one, I had it upholstery cleaned, worked great.
Good Luck!

Maria
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

actually the funny thing is, it seems like he only poops in the one next to the bed and uses the one downsairs for peeing all the time. he seems to mostly play in the one upstairs. i did try the cat attract, and it just made him want to play in it more and toss all the litter around. im not sure what to do since he uses the one downstairs no problem..

i know for sure it didnt soak through to the bed because we ve caught him in the act, and theres 2 more covers under it.. it might be a good idea to get rid of the blanket i just dont wanna take the chance in having him ruin our down comforters.

and the litter box is never dirty since he hardly uses that one since im not upstairs much..sigh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page