Litter box behavior! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Litter box behavior!

Hello everyone

Ever since Tiger blocked, was hospitalized and discharged about a month ago he has been extra-loving, every chance he gets he will be up on Lexi (daughter), Mark (hubby) or me, especially me, He loves me to death. I don't have a problem with it, I am actually thrilled, he was so sick when he blocked, he is doing great now.
I just think that he is well aware of how sick he got and he is thankful to us for saving his life!, call me crazy but I believe this is a fact lol.

Also when I get home I run upstairs and scoop his box (during the weekend I scoop 3-4 times a day!, during the week I can only do AM and PM), for the last 5 days he waits then out runs me and pees in his box (a big one!) in front of me, it is like he is telling me look mommy I can pee.
I would prefer him not to hold the pee until I get home..
I know I am crazy, I just thought I would share this with you all.
Any suggestions?

Maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 12:10 AM

One of my kittens had a urinary tract infection a couple of months ago, and I got great advice from people here to add about a teaspoon of filtered water to his canned food with each meal. If you stir it gently it does not get too soupy, and it helps dilute the urine. I also noticed, since I started this with all four cats, that they pee a lot more than they used to, which also reduces the chance for them to "hold it" for whatever reason. Although they still have the biggest pee in the world when they wake up from their afternoon nap - sleep is too sacred to be disrupted

Maybe that would help your cat to produce more urine, so he will have to go even when you are not home?
Also, does he have only one box, or two? If you have only one for him, adding a second one might be a good idea as well
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nini
One of my kittens had a urinary tract infection a couple of months ago, and I got great advice from people here to add about a teaspoon of filtered water to his canned food with each meal. If you stir it gently it does not get too soupy, and it helps dilute the urine. I also noticed, since I started this with all four cats, that they pee a lot more than they used to, which also reduces the chance for them to "hold it" for whatever reason. Although they still have the biggest pee in the world when they wake up from their afternoon nap - sleep is too sacred to be disrupted

Maybe that would help your cat to produce more urine, so he will have to go even when you are not home?
Also, does he have only one box, or two? If you have only one for him, adding a second one might be a good idea as well
Tiger has been peeing more than ever because he is on canned food, and yes I do add water and sometimes clam juice, it is saltry and makes him drink more, I also use filtered water. He is also on homeopathic pills (so far it is a trial of 30 days) to make him pee more, he also has a fountain and yes moving water attracts cats way more than still water ,peeing at this juncture isn't the issue, I do pick up at least 3-4 chunks of pee and this is very good considering I leave at 8:00 and come back around 6:00.
He is also taking cosequin which helps maintain the urinary tract healthy, and is also good for his bones. He has been doing great on this supplement, so much that he is much more playful, he is like a kitty all over again.
My thing was that he has been so affectionate ever since he got blocked and I wanted to share it with you all hehe.
I thank you for your advice, I am glad to hear your cat is doing well

Ps: I am thinking of adding a second box, I keep the one I have upstairs to he gets exercise

Maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 04:45 PM
Premier Cat

Isn't it wonderful how the little ones appreciate it when we help them?

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 05:23 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypertweeky
My thing was that he has been so affectionate ever since he got blocked and I wanted to share it with you all hehe.
Malibu changed her demeanor after I almost lost her to hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver). She was very sick and after the diagnostics, I couldn't afford for her to be treated at the vet's, even though they offered to charge me as little as possible. I did it myself, at home. Force feeding a former feral cat every 2-4 hours. She pulled through and it has been a year since her illness and brush with death.
NOW...she snuggles on my lap (is next to me on the office chair right now), snuggles with Hubby and sleeps ON me (head or chest) every night.

BooBoo has also changed since we took a trip to California in October. Husband was gone for 3 weeks and I joined him a week later and was gone for 2. Before the trip, Boo would get snuggle-y maybe (MAYBE) 1-2 times a month. Now it is about 2-3 times a week. BooBoo is 8 or 9 years old and this change only recently happened after our trip.

I wanted to comment about him racing you up the stairs to go potty...it seems every evening when I go to clean the big box (as large as a hope chest) LuckyDuck feels the need to hop in, scratch around and make a deposit. It is like me getting the litter-cleaning paraphernalia reminds him, or triggers, the need to go.

Crazy kittehs.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
Quote:
Malibu changed her demeanor after I almost lost her to hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver). She was very sick and after the diagnostics, I couldn't afford for her to be treated at the vet's, even though they offered to charge me as little as possible. I did it myself, at home. Force feeding a former feral cat every 2-4 hours. She pulled through and it has been a year since her illness and brush with death.
NOW...she snuggles on my lap (is next to me on the office chair right now), snuggles with Hubby and sleeps ON me (head or chest) every night.

BooBoo has also changed since we took a trip to California in October. Husband was gone for 3 weeks and I joined him a week later and was gone for 2. Before the trip, Boo would get snuggle-y maybe (MAYBE) 1-2 times a month. Now it is about 2-3 times a week. BooBoo is 8 or 9 years old and this change only recently happened after our trip.

I wanted to comment about him racing you up the stairs to go potty...it seems every evening when I go to clean the big box (as large as a hope chest) LuckyDuck feels the need to hop in, scratch around and make a deposit. It is like me getting the litter-cleaning paraphernalia reminds him, or triggers, the need to go.

Crazy kittehs.
I am very HAPPY Malibu recovered from such nasty disease, you did such a good job taking care of him, kudos for ya!!
So Tiger is pulling a LuckyDuck huh? Interesting! I am glad to hear I am not the only one
He cried for a while today, he seems inconsistent when it comes to Wellness, sometimes he will eat it right away and some other times he does the same motion as if he was covering pee in the litter box and will whine forever then he finally eats it. He seems to enjoy turkey way more than chicken and beef.
Too bad Wellness doesn't have duck, he loves it.
Thanks for your input, yes our kitties are definitely crazy!

Maria
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 09:59 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
it seems every evening when I go to clean the big box (as large as a hope chest) LuckyDuck feels the need to hop in, scratch around and make a deposit. It is like me getting the litter-cleaning paraphernalia reminds him, or triggers, the need to go. Crazy kittehs.
Pouncer was like that, too. Every time I scooped boxes, she would come running, hop in and do her thing. It was so funny!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 10:03 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
There are a couple of other brands that have duck flavours, have you tried those? Our pet food store just started stocking cans by Innova that contain 95% meat, and I got a can of duck to try for the cats (they turned their little noses up at it, but perhaps you'll have more success). And there's always Turducken. You might already know all this, but my cats went through a duck phase last year when they loved duck, so I was buying the turducken like crazy.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 10:56 PM
Banned

Cats can hold it for a very long time, so I don't think it's anything you need to worry about.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseplaypen
Quote:
There are a couple of other brands that have duck flavours, have you tried those? Our pet food store just started stocking cans by Innova that contain 95% meat, and I got a can of duck to try for the cats (they turned their little noses up at it, but perhaps you'll have more success). And there's always Turducken. You might already know all this, but my cats went through a duck phase last year when they loved duck, so I was buying the turducken like crazy.
Will that food be good for cats with FLUTD? Tiger never had crystals, his blockage was due to mucus.
Time to google up! hehe, thanks for the advice

Maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page