friend gave me her cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

friend gave me her cat

And my current cat smokey is fine with her but baby (new cat) is hissing and swatting at him. She is about 6 and is a lot smaller than smokey. My friend brought her over sunday because her parents don't want her any more (my friend isn't living home anymore).

when i first introduced the cats baby hissed, growled, and swatted at smokey but that's where it stopped because smokey would back away. so its been a few days (i know that i usually takes weeks if not months for cats to get used to each other). Smokey doesn't show any sort of aggression towards her he just goes up to her to sniff and baby will growl and swat at him.

when i'm at work i keep baby in the bathroom so that there is no unsupervised fighting. i let her out when i get home and then put her back in the bathroom when i go to bed. she seems to be fine in her new environment other than what she doing to smokey.

i would have thought that smokey would be the one showing aggression not the new cat towards him. baby is fine if smokey isn't in site but when he is gets close she start hissing.

so i guess my question is, is this normal behavior? i don't want smokey to feel like he is losing his territory and i don't want baby to hate smokey because he doesn't mean any harm he is just curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 11:49 AM
Premier Cat

That is normal behavior. I think that after a bit more time of supervised 'intros' they can learn to get along, or at least avoid each other. Someone more knowledgeable than I should come along shortly and be better able to answer your questions.
h

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 12:09 PM
Cool Cat

it's definitely a good idea that you've confined baby when you're not there to supervise.

You might be able to get them to play together by putting a toy under the door while Baby is confined; something like a "string" (that slides under the door) with a toy securely tied on each end... then each cat can pull at their end and they get used to being near each other without being able to hurt each other.

You could also try feeding them by placing their bowls on each side of the door, or in the same room (if you're able to supervise) and gradually moving them closer to each other.

As Heidi said, it's normal behavior, and it is something that will most likely pass in time. It can take a while - when I reintroduced Tabitha to my other cats it took over a month for things to settle down. Try to be patient, and know that you're doing everything right.

I am sure that some of the others here have some more tips. Let us know how it goes!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

ok well i'm glad that i'm doing things right baby was in a house that had another cat that was kind of mean and beat her up a lot when she was there. im thinking that she just doesn't know that smokey won't attack her.

thanks for the responses guys i just wanted to make sure that it was normal for this kind of thing to be going on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page