STRANGE BEHAVIORS FROM MY ADOPTED CAT. DESPERATE FOR ADVISE! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

STRANGE BEHAVIORS FROM MY ADOPTED CAT. DESPERATE FOR ADVISE!

Hi there,

I recently made a post about my new adopted Cat (she is about 2), and now things are really getting out of hand and I do not know what to do. I resuced/adopted Mandi on September 12th, and things are not going too well. I live in an apartment with one bedroom and another big room in the front, and most of the time when my Mandi hears me get off my bed, she runs past me and hides under the bed. She does come out shortyl after, but this bothers me so much because I feel that she is unhappy. She is constantly scratching me when I try to be affectionate or handle her (even when I have to clean her ears), and I now am covered in many areas with painful punctures and scratches. She has also started something new that concerns me. She used to always greet me at the door and let me love her up for a bit when I would return home from work at night (she would purr and all that), but this last week she would come out to see me when I walked in the door, but then a minute later she walks away and does not let me give her any attention. I don't know what to do. Since I do not know her complete history, except that she was found outside, livng as a stray, I am afraid to teach her any house etiquite or discipline her at all when she is doing something wrong. HELP! When she is naughty how can I tell her, "No" when she gets so upset? I am even afraid to take her to the Vet, because I think that she will be traumatized to have to be put in a carrier, etc.

Also, she is very messy with her food and water. Can someone help with this? She puts her paw in her food, and throws it out of her bowl to eat what she wants off the floor, and she also sticks her paw in her water bowl from time to time (tracking water on all the floors and bedding when shes comes on the bed). Now, I should add that she comes into my bed to sleep near me every night, frequently waking me to have me pet her, and she even licked me last night a few times, but I feel that may be just because she wants food or my body heat, LOL!

ANY HELP IS SO APPRECIATED!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 11:09 PM
Cool Cat

I would get her to a vet first thing to rule out any potentially dangerous medical problems. It's worth the risk, in my opinion, and you can ask the vet for tips on dealing with her anxiety while you're having her checked out.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

Have her nails been clipped? Based on what you've said, I'm betting not. When a cat's nails are too long they get very sharp and protrude out beyond the end of the foot...they will end up scratching accidentally. In addition, the nail can grow back on itself and embed in the pad, which is likely to cause a nasty infection. So you need to get them clipped, whether you do it or have the vet do it when you go. Here's an article that describes how to clip nails:

http://www.declawing.com/htmls/trimming.htm

Other than that, she still sounds like a normal cat adjusting to a new home. The change in greeting ritual may mean something, maybe not...cats are that way...they wouldn't want you to think you have them figured out.

Sticking paws in water, dumping food on the floor...yup, all very normal for some cats.

Have you ever had a cat before? You seem a bit intimidated by it all and she may be picking up on that. Maybe reading a book or two on cat behavior or talking all of this over with the vet or the shelter you adopted her from would help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 11:51 PM
Banned

I didn't read anything in there either that's unusual or abnormal behavior, or any real cause for concern. Cat behavior covers a whole range of personality types, just like people. Apparently you just adopted a cat that doesn't behave as you expected a cat to behave.

But don't fret as I really don't think there's anything wrong with this cat. You and the cat are still learning about each other and gettiing used to each other. Don't be afraid to tell your cat "No!!" when she does something she shouldn't do. She may not obey -- cats are very independent-minded, and don't try to discipline her because at this point she's still making up her mind whether you're to be trusted or not.

Over time you'll get used to each other. For now, maybe you want to back off a bit. Don't force yourself on her. Give her some space to get comfortable. She'll come around to you when she's ready. I think most new cat owners go through period of time (and more than once) when they think that things aren't going too well. Just hang in there.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 03:06 AM
Premier Cat

I agree with all the above. Sounds like normal cat behavior.
I used to have a cat that always dug in his food and water (go figure) and Nanook always prefers his food on the floor so I put their bowls on a large tray.
Every cat is different and has their own way of doing things but they are very good at training us if we pay attention.

Victoria
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 12:37 PM
Tom Cat

Don’t worry about scaring her by taking her to the vet. Cats recover from any trauma, fairly quickly once they are home. It’s more important you make sure she is healthy. You can also have the vet show you how to trim her nails. She may hide for a bit when you first get home. Or just give you attitude.

Try feeding her off a paper plate. Some cats don’t like sticking there face in a bowl.

If she wakes you up in the middle of the night, don’t pay any attention to her. Try to ignore her, if it’s something you absolutely can’t ignore, pick her up and put her on the floor, without saying a word. She’ll probably jump back up but she’ll get the idea eventually.

As far as not greeting you when you come home. My cat started doing this and eventually I figured this out: she was training me. She prefers being in the bedroom so she goes in knowing I’ll usually follow her to give her some pets. If I don’t go in right away I see her sticking her little nose out to see where I went. Sometimes way she’ll come back out, make sure I see her and repeat the process. If you can resist her charms, she’ll start coming out to greet you again.

The good news is, I noticed my cat only started training me after she eally became comfortable with me and her new home.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 04:17 PM

Re: STRANGE BEHAVIORS FROM MY ADOPTED CAT. DESPERATE FOR ADV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincey
Hi there,

Also, she is very messy with her food and water. Can someone help with this? She puts her paw in her food, and throws it out of her bowl to eat what she wants off the floor, and she also sticks her paw in her water bowl from time to time (tracking water on all the floors and bedding when shes comes on the bed). Now, I should add that she comes into my bed to sleep near me every night, frequently waking me to have me pet her, and she even licked me last night a few times, but I feel that may be just because she wants food or my body heat, LOL!

ANY HELP IS SO APPRECIATED!
Yep.....just like a cat!!!! Squeaks won't eat anything out of your hand, and it MUST be on the ground!! You can put something for her to have on the couch, and she will push it to the ground before she even thinks of eating!!! As far as water, this is a game. Squeaks and Taz love water running in the sink, but they stick their paws in it then shake them, so it gts all over the mirror. As far as night behavior, one night squeaks will sleep between us, the next night she's nowhere to be found. The next night she may meow at me to roll over so SHE can sleep on the edge of the bed. Taz just sleeps on our feet, or the back of the couch when its snowing so she can watch it. Or tearing around about 1am and waking everyone in the house up. Just make sure that you show her/him your caring, snuggly side......she will get better.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 08:56 PM
Cat

Location: Ohio, USA, North America, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way
Send a message via AIM to Duchess
Hi there, Quincey.

I just wanted to let you know that I have a cat that we rescued from the pound when she was a little over a year old and she is JUST NOW (after almost 7 years of owning her) becoming affectionate with me.

She has never been a very friendly cat and has just always much preferred that we leave her alone. She has gotten better, recently, but I think it's because we've always just let her do her own thing; never forced her to be petted or touched. She's always been happy just having the run of the house, food in her bowl and several places to sleep. We figure if she wanted attention, she knows she can come for it.

She could be frightened, she could have been mistreated before you or she could just be the typw of cat that isn't very affectionate.

Being fairly new to your situation, she's probably most certainly nervous and just not at ease with things, yet.

I hope you've taken her for at least one vet visit (to make sure she's gotten all her shots and that she's reasonably healthy), but if you haven't, even if it makes her unhappy, you should go ahead and do that. You're responsible for her, so even if it pisses her off for a day, you have to make sure she's healthy!

Good luck!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 09:42 PM
Premier Cat

It sounds like Quincey is just being a cat, adjusting to a new human and a new home. I wouldn't try to force affection on her, just give her warm, comfy beds, fresh food and water, and clean litter box(es). Giver her some space, if thats what she wants.
And a vet checkup couldn't hurt.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page