new : "Love Bites" - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

new : "Love Bites"

My Arianwen is a very smart kitty and she is surprisingly eager to please. But a couple of days ago she started doing something that surprised me. When we play she sometimes gets excited and pounces on my hand, gently biting and bunny-kicking with claws in. This is great fun, but she started play-biting me in a different, cute way. She turns her head so that just one upper/lower canine pair lightly pinch my skin. This is so cute because it looks like she's got a big smile on her face while play-biting me, like she's playing a joke. Is she wanting to show off her big kitty-smile? Or just trying a different way of playing? Or is it kitty humor; little tiger pouncing on relatively huge prey?
Anyway, it's just so cute that I had to share.

cats leave paw-prints on your heart
It takes a cat to turn a house from a cold building into a warm home.
Cats teach us it's the simplest things that really matter
John
eternal angel Arianwen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 11:33 PM
Premier Cat

Some of my kitties do that. I think each cat has a different meaning for it and it is up to us to figure it out.
From Marmalade, it means he wants your attention and would you please pet him. Marm will make a little 'cry' sound, maybe paw at your leg or arm and when you look at him, he will hold a small 'pinch' of skin while looking in your eyes and purring. From Dusty, it is usually when I am petting him and he will grab my wrist/hand with his front paws and gently 'hold' me to tell my hand to stay and pet him. Shadow will sort of give me little nibbles when she is in the throes of enjoying being petted. She walks in circles, wags her tail, rears up to catch her nose in your palm and rubs her face into your hand, giving the little nibbles. If Malibu gently grabs me with her teeth, it means she wants me to stop petting her, and when I do stop, she will 'soften' her eyes, loosen her hold and give me a few licks where she held me.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 02:31 PM
Premier Cat

A big no no is to hand play with a cat. It encourages biting. My Mz Tess does that. I say no sharply at her when she does it.

Mittens bites my hair when he wants me to do something for him. Its like "hey mom the food bowl is empty. Fill it now." Its his last straw way of telling me something cuz he knows it annoys me! and gets my immediate attention to what he wants.

Sometimes Mz Tess gentlely bites me. Its very light. That is an expression of love. Its not an agreesive bite.

Arianwen sounds like such a unique special kitty from your posts. She is a treasure. What a wonderful companion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 11:40 PM
Banned

It's cute, but not a good idea, generally. The thinking is to teach a cat that it's not OK to bite you, because if your cat is startled or stressed, she's going to react out of instinct and not restrict herself to a play bite. Also, vets appreciate cats that know not to bite.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page