Phoebe the Smelly Scooter - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Phoebe the Smelly Scooter

My cat, Phoebe, started scooting about a month ago, and has had some diarrhea. I got her some worm medication from the vet without a visit, and she seemed better for a little bit.

My cat is a maine coon, so she has super long fur around her bum. I had to give her a bath a week and a half ago because she smelled terrible and had some mats, so I also trimmed the fur around her anus.

Now, tonight I was awake in bed and could hear her across the room shuffling around with a plastic bag. She was doing it quite a bit so I went to check on her. She was in the corner behind a shelf meowing at me, so I had to scare her out.

Then she was under my desk, hissing and growling and trying to lick her anus. I hadn't touched her yet, so I put her up on her scratching post to look at her bum. She was hissing and growling some more, obviously in pain, and then she started panting with her tongue out so I knew something was not right at all! That really scared me!

The skin around her anus is bright red, and looks pretty raw. Whereas when I gave her a bath it wasn't like that at all. I have noticed her cleaning her bum more often lately, and sometimes she lays down with one of her hind legs in the air. It's probably her anal sacs...at least I hope so. She stinks!

I'm calling the vet as soon as they're open tomorrow morning. Until then, I can't get to sleep because I'm worried about her! Although she seems fine now that I'm awake, keeping her company...little bugger.

Hopefully I can get her in to the vet tomorrow rather than monday!

piano
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 10:36 AM
Premier Cat

Hope she feels better soon!

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Well it turns out I can't get her in to the vet until Monday, so she has to wear an E collar until then..

She's absolutely miserable wearing it, she keeps on walking backwards. I have to admit it is kind of cute on her, it looks like a baby bonnet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 09:55 PM

Sounds like her anal sacks might have gotten swollen and need to be expressed. If it is the case, your vet can show you how to do it yourself (I know, what a rejoicing perspective) so you don't have to go back should the problem come back.

Hope she feels better soon, poor Sweetie
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 10:44 PM
Premier Cat

Ouch, it probably is her anal glands. Is it a messy job expressing the anal glands at home? The things we do for our kitties huh? Hope she feels better
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

The things we do for our kitties indeed!

Well it turns out it isn't her anal sacs, she is a bit overweight! I realized she had gained more weight than I thought when I tried to cram her in the cat carrier. She barely fit!

The vet explained that she has folds 'down there' that prevent her from cleaning the area properly, and it can cause irritation.

So onto a diet she goes! The vet gave me a bag of "Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Calorie Control CC38".

Is this food any good? It has corn ingredients, etc. I'm going to try it for a month and see how they do. (My other cat could probably stand to lose a couple pounds too). I'm sure it's better than what they were already eating (Technical). I would eventually like to convert them over to wet food.

This is probably a subject for a new thread, however there are so many topics on diet I will just read other threads.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page