Missing cat - Questions - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 04:10 AM Thread Starter

Missing cat - Questions

Hi all, I am alternating between utter depression and vigorous hope every few hours now after one of our cats, Starsky, has been missing for 4 days now.

Here is a link to my post in the Lost section of another (local, UK) forum i posted in, but i hoped to ask these questions here also to see if i could get more understanding:

http://www.catchat.org/discus/messages/ ... 1198224594

I have a few concerns and questions and would value your thoughts please. I have taken time of work and been looking and postering almost non stop since he didnt come home the first evening.

We live on the corner of a very busy 4 lane main road and another pretty busy 2 lane road. Our garden is walled in and the back faces onto some other large gardens. We keeps our two guys in each evening and night and they are free to come and go during the day via a catflap.

Our missing cat would always have come home throughout the day for naps, especially now it is getting cold. He would not have walked on the footpath, let alone crossed the road, as far as i know..(which is part of my question ill come to)

He is neutered, cautious and intelligent. He wouldn't sit about for someone else to lift him.

Q.1 I heard that David Attenborough said that they tracked a normal domestic cat 12 miles in one day...when its owners thought it just wandered locally... is this "normal"?

I have been searching and posting leaflets in each house where i was pretty sure he would have roamed (very close - about 5/6 houses distance) and also searching beyond that to the end of the streets and those parallel. If however, he potentially could be going miles....I am screwed and can never explore all parts so far since i live in a densely populated part of the city...

Q.2 I have had one sighting reported of him the night after he went missing... of him looking ok..BUT..he was only about 120 meters away from where we live...and he was walking away from our house direction...?

I have shown the person (who says he spotted him) other pics and he is quite sure it was him. I am stumped.. why would our cat, who is soo loving and loved, suddenly for no apparent reason (he is not one who normally does this at all in his 3 years of life or 1 year of living there) do that?

I have stayed out, watching in case i could see this cat to confirm if it was him or not; one night from 6pm-3.30am and the next morning from 6am-8am. I saw a fox and one other black and white cat, but not my guy.

The spotter is a cat lover and observer, so i dont doubt his sincerity, but it just makes no sense to me and is confusing how i should spend my time searching for him - keep looking very locally? or go further out?

Q.3 Does a cat look out for cars before crossing a road (like some dogs know to do) or do they just sprint and it is pot luck?

Q.4 If a cat did cross a road which was quiet at the time, maybe if they were chased for example, but then the road became very busy - would the cat, who was now in unfamiliar territory, still "know" where it's home was and be able to get back via a new route?
(There has been building work next door to us recently which potentially could make him think his way is blocked (though he could sneak past at the back hedge), however i know building work would be very disruptive to him.

Q.5 How well do cats withstand the cold?

He is shorthaired and slim. It has been VERY cold here, down to 1oC at nights as i know because i was out in it for hours on end.

EDIT: I had one more question:

Q.6 Is hiring a trained tracker dog to try and find our cat a feasible and realistic idea or not? Their may be one organisation in my country to do this.. I was told by another that this is usually for humans (obviously) but i wonder if anyone knows of it being done and successfully for cats?

Thank you very very much for reading all this and if you can answer one or more questions i would be so thankful.

Tim and Starsky's family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 08:05 AM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to chaoticborders
I'm so sorry your baby is lost. I'll be praying for you guys.

Sometimes cats get something interesting in their minds and wander farther than they are used to.
There's no harm in going further out. Do you have friends or family who can help you cover more ground?
Make sure you bring a flashlight to shine in yards at night to try to reflect off kittie's eyes.
Have you called shelters and vets in the area?

I know in the U.S there are a few orginazations who hire out tracking dogs for lost pets. I trained my own Havok to help me track and find lost kitties. Since he loved them so much. I did have success with him.

Don't give up though! Keep us updated!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 01:31 AM
Banned

1. 12 miles is not a normal range. I've seen diagrams made of the ranges of indoor/outdoor cats as studied in the UK, and though I can't find it now, I think it was only a couple km for the extended range and much less for the home range.

3. I've seen Rocket look before crossing the street but then again, I've seen him not look. So I think it's just a case of where their attention lies at the moment they come up to the street.

4. Yes.

5. Quite well, providing there's a place to shelter.

6. I doubt it. They're trained to find people, not cats.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help. If your cat hasn't met with an accident on the road, he's probably in hiding nearby. He'll probably only come out when the activity level is at its lowest. Good luck, I hope he's back home soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 05:50 PM
Premier Cat

Make sure to read this sticky. You sound like a really devoted cat parent & are doing so much to find your cat.

I think cats know where there home is, especially if it's an outdoor/indoor kitty. Who knows why they do what they do sometimes, that's why their a cat right? Maybe something spooked him or he just decided to see what else what out there.

I'll be praying you find your kitty again. I'd be worried sick as well. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page