Hissing more often? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Hissing more often?

Twice in the last week, Rookie has suddenly hissed at us when my boyfriend or I pet her. This seems to come with no reason or agitation at all . . . she just suddenly hisses at us for petting her, and then she's over it. Do you have periods when your cat hisses more than usual, or without any provocation like that?

Holly and Murphy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 11:54 AM
Premier Cat

Twinkie will sometime hiss when he's just been travelling in the car & we let him out. Usually there is a reason for him to hiss but maybe Rookie is just in a bad mood lately Hopefully it's just a phase
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 12:47 PM
Premier Cat

I think something is bothering her and she is telling you to stop. It is either a pain issue like a sore/pulled muscle or an annoyance issue where she just didn't care to be 'bothered' at that time or she didn't like the way she was being pet.

If she hisses every time you pet a particular spot I'd be inclined to think pain or soreness. If it is just at particular times like when she is snoozy or just finished eating or pottying, she may just not want to be messed with at that time.

Need to do a little detective work to figure out what she is trying to tell you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

The only common thread I can think of is that in both cases, we were approaching her from dead-on ahead, face to face. When we pet her from the front, she often nips at us. Maybe now the nipping has just progressed to hissing.

I think there might just be an instinctive thing that when something comes straight at her, she feels threatened. When I approach her from the side or back, we've never gotten the bite or hiss. Is that a common thing?

Holly and Murphy
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 02:40 PM
Cat Addict

I am not sure October, Tiger hardly ever hisses not matter how I pet him.
He hisses at the dog when Melo tries to chew his tail though , I had to get citronella to keep him away from Tiger.

Maria
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 06:15 PM
Premier Cat

Our kitties have only hissed at us if they were in pain or afraid of something. If we play too rough we may get a 'cry' and a 'bite' (to hold, not break the skin), but never a hiss/growl.

Mousie is the only cat we have that hisses regularly, and that is because she has a growth over her left eye and has no peripheral vision from that side. This makes it appear as if things are coming at her suddenly because she doesn't see them until they are right on top of her. She will hiss/swat at other cats, but only jumps if we appear too suddenly for her.

While I was thinking how odd Rookie's behavior seems to me...I recalled a cat that belonged to some friends. This cat hissed at everybody that visited their house and tried to pet her. Except my husband and I, our friends were surprised. However, I think it was the manner in which we presented to pet her. We didn't just reach out and begin petting, we would hold our hand in front of her face, allow her to sniff and if she didn't move away, THEN we pet her.
We asked permission and didn't just violate her personal space.
I wonder if Rookie prefers to be asked if she can be pet. The Royal Queen, you know.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 11:27 PM
Premier Cat

I hope it's not because she is in pain. Some cats don't like hands coming at them from the front. But I don't see why she would start now, that's not a good thing to hear from a cat. If it persists, try to come at her from the side of her head or from behind
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Thanks for your comments, everyone. In addition to not approaching her directly from the front, I think I'll try to stop touching her as much. I really do touch her or pet her all the time, and she's probably just doesn't have a tolerance for that much touching. And you're right, a gradual smell-me-first approach is a good one.

We've also had house guests for the past 5 days who Rookie didn't know at all, so in general she's probably just not that comfortable. She stayed upstairs the whole first day they were here, and by the second day was willing to come down and walk around like normal. So maybe it's a combination of things.

Holly and Murphy
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 05:20 PM
Premier Cat

My cats have become hissers. Reasons for hissing to communicate their displeasure is as follows: If they are intimadated by a new person. If they are not happy with what Im trying to do to them as clip nails or get them to leave an area. If the foster kittys are annoying them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page