Hiding young adult won't eat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Hiding young adult won't eat

I recently adopted 7 months old Thornton from a man whose wife recently gave birth and couldn't spend as much time with him like before (details and video of Thornton can be seen here).

He's been here three days now and although he sometimes comes out of hiding when things are quiet, he prefers to watch me from his hiding place. I've got him cooped inside my room where I spend most of the day since I've got my computer and TV in it. I've left him wet food on a plate ever since he got here and it looks as if he hasn't touched at all.

I forgot to add that I brought him and his mother straight to the vet for a check up after picking up and I suppose the vet's two assistants were a bit rough in handling them both. The mother gave them chase, twice. Poor Thornton was inside his pet carrier cowering in the corner. When they brought him out he was handled by the scruff of his neck and later held down on the table with his two feet pinned down by one guy while the other clipped his nails. I know the poor thing was traumatized by the whole ordeal, but this was the first time it happened in the vet. When I brought my other kitten for the first time to the vet he wasn't manhandled like this at all so it came as a surprise to me.

I tried treats but he wouldn't take it or even sniff it. He would let me touch him from his hiding place but he would still flinch. What would you all suggest that I do in this situation in order for me to gain his trust?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 11:58 PM
Cat Addict

You're feeding him the same food that he got from his old home?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 03:09 AM Thread Starter

He and his mom were fed boiled or steamed fish back at the breeder's house. I tried Fancy Feast and he wasn't even looking at it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 03:39 AM
Cat Addict

Can you try serving the fish? If he will eat some of that, you can assume it's the food he's objecting to and not the new home (not that he'd object to it, he'd just might be too nervous to eat).

If he will eat that, feed it and then start topping or mixing it with the wet food you want him to eat. Let us know how it goes!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 10:16 AM
Premier Cat

Keep petting him even if he flinches. He needs to learn that you, and you reaching for him, are not going to result in bad/scary things.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 11:53 AM
Cool Cat

Any chance that the couple could come over for a bit?

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

There's some bit of progress.

Kitty's Mom, you're right! I served him some boiled fish earlier before we went out to dinner and by the time we got back he finished it all! He even finished the fresh batch of fish I served him just now.

He's still hiding in the shadows though but at least he's changed his position from hiding behind the desk to hiding beneath the bed. I'll serve more boiled fish in the next couple of days and slowly introduce the canned food. Hopefully he'll take a liking to it.

Got it Heidi n Q. I'll continue petting and rubbing his head. Hopefully he'll have the courage to go out of hiding sooner than later.

Mom of 4, I don't quite follow your post. Pardon my ignorance. Come over where?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 02:08 PM
Premier Cat

Mom of 4 may have meant the couple who used to own/handle him?

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 04:55 PM
Cool Cat

Yes, I meant the previous owners. Sorry I wasn't clear.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

I don't think they'd be able to, their place is pretty far off.

Thornton's making short excursions whenever I leave out a plate of fish for him but goes in again to his hiding hole whenever he sees me enter the room. This might take a week, maybe more before he learns to trust me.

Do you think I could do some forced socialization with him?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page