Will my cats hate each other forever? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

Will my cats hate each other forever?

I adopted a kitten from the shelter about 8 months ago named Chimmi and she's spoiled rotten; anything she ever wants, she gets. So, I decided that it would be nice for her to have a feline friend to pass the time with while I'm out of the house.

So, we adopted Magic a couple of days ago. He's a four-month-old black kitten that is just getting over a bad cold.

Since I still live with my parents, I have no other room but mine to monitor to make sure a kitten stays in. So, when we got Magic, we put him into Chimmi's room (my room) and locked Chimmi out of HER own room... so, she's pissed. Not to mention I don't spend as much time with her because I have to spend my time tending to Magic and see that he's okay and still breathing (he's got terrible congestion).

They've already been in the same room together and got into a couple of little altercations, nothing serious. Chimmi hates Magic 'cause he's stolen her room from her. What can I do to help Chimmi accept Magic as a friend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 06:56 AM
Premier Cat

Well, I'd be pretty upset too if I were kicked out of my room!
But, since there is no alternative...no bathroom available?...it is best to keep them separated at least until the kitten has a clean bill of health (completely over the URI, Felv/FIV tests).
There are introduction protocols that are advised for cats, you can search here for info or Google cat introductions. Usually, it's to keep them separated for quite some time, and swap smells etc. For now I would make sure your old kitty is getting lots of extra attention and reassurance. If there is any way to put the kitten somewhere else and give your older kitty his room back, I would do that. Be patient. It can sometimes take several months for them to get used to each other so you have to give them time. If you're very lucky, they'll hit it off quickly, but very often it takes some time. Don't get discouraged. I know this sounds goofy but I really think, if you are nervous about them getting along, they will pick up on that and it'll make it a lot harder whereas, if you have a positive attitude and KNOW everything is fine, they will pick up on that and be okay too.
I'm sure others here can give you more advice about the recommended introductions but, since I've never followed them I'm hardly the right person to advise. I'm very much in the minority though.

Victoria
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 11:22 PM
Premier Cat

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

All great advice, thanks, guys.

I think my cats may have sorted their differences out. I have decided that the majority of the time they spend "fighting" it's really just them playing. That's how kittens play. I had never really been in a household with cats that got along so this was hard for me to interpret. But, it IS sometimes hard to tell if Chimmi is being malicious toward Magic, so, despite the "rules", I break up the "fights" if it gets too rough. It seems that Chimmi is really aggresive but not really in a mean way, she just gets carried away, I think.

Magic has begun hiding from Chimmi, though, after these episodes of rough play and I'm not sure if this is a game with kittens or if he's scared for dear life but he seems really calm whenever they have little breaks between rounds of wrestling.

I think that once this initial period is over, they'll be buddies. I guess it's just a matter of time now. There's not really much advice that can be given on this matter, actually (now that I think of it). It all sorta depends on the cats.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 09:54 AM

Cats getting along

You are correct to break up the fights when you think the older cat is being too rough. I have a kitten I've been bottle feeding staying in a room with a cat that had 2 litters before I got her fixed. It's her room. But it's also the only other room in the house to put the kitten. I have several dogs so I put the kitten in a dog kennel with a small plastic pan for litter, a small box for the kitten to nap/hide in and food and water. I was very careful at first as the older cat hissed and growled at the baby. It's been over a month now and they play quite well but I'm still breaking up the more agressive moves of the older cat. After the kitten gets free of the older cat, he runs across the room but they go right back at it. Just jockeying for position and the older cat sometimes is disciplining the kitten as she did her litters. So the kitten will stay in the kennel for quite a while yet. As the other poster said, it's better for you to relax because your fears translate to your animals. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page