Teaching to use a scratching post.. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Teaching to use a scratching post..

Trinkit got a scratching post for Christmas, because she's started scratching on the furniture. She has a box that she is allowed to scratch on, and loves it. In fact, it almost needs to be replaced. And she listens well when I tell her "no" for scratching on furniture.

However, I can't get her interested in the new scratching post. Someone suggested to me that I rub catnip on it. Would this work?

Currently I've been picking her paws up and setting them on the post whenever she scratches on the couch (I have it right beside her favorite corner), but she just looks at me like I'm strange and walks away.

Any other suggestions for teaching her "no" to the couch and "yes" to the post?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 01:23 PM
Cool Cat

Try the catnip and also play with a toy on the post. Drag the toy across to she can attack it and sink her claws into the post. Don't force her to scratch it though or it might backfire and she'll try to avoid the post. Also remember some cats are very picky about what they scratch, one of my cats, Willie, Will not scratch rope cardboard or carpet posts that are either horizontal or vertical. I had to make him one out of denim. Some cats will only do one texture and some will only do one orientation. So find one your kitty likes and I would stick to it.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

The second you see her use it, praise her with treats. She'll soon learn cause and affect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page