Meowing for no reason......? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Meowing for no reason......?

My kitty has been fine all day but we left for about 30 minutes and since we came back he has just been pacing around the house meowing and meowing....for no reason. what could this be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Premier Cat

Something is bothering him. Have you tried holding/petting/talking to him to calm him down and reassure him?
It could be something inside the house, or outside, that has alarmed him.

You'll have to do a bit of detective work to discover what is bothering him, and we'd have to know more info; the kitty's age, how long he's lived w/you at this place, any changes to the home, any changes outside the home, loud noises, other animals... As you can see, there could be many things that disturb kitties.
Good luck helping him to quiet down,
Heidi

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

We got home and he is always waiting for us at the door. I always acknowledge him and say hi to him then we started doing stuff around the house then he started meowing. I thought maybe he was meowing cuz his litter was dirty so i changed his litter out, swept and mopped. I picked him up and he kinda smelled like cat pee. I closed the door with him in the room where his litter is and he went in it. But he kept meowing. So I played with him for a while with a toy. He hasnt really been meowing since we finished playing.

He is about 7 months old. We just recently moved to a new apt and we've been here for about a month and a half. During the move he did act strange (very scared) but he acted normal after that. There hasnt been any changes inside or outside our apt.
But when we left we went to my bf's mom's house and she has a cat. Maybe he smelled the cat on us?
We also had a problem with him the past couple of weeks of him peeing on clothes that was on the floor in our closet or in the laundry room. I washed all of our clothes and kept doors closed and gave him no other place to pee but his litter box so the past couple days he's been better about going in his litter box and we havent had any accidents since, so thats why i thought maybe his litter needed to be changed cuz he was meowing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

Hmmm...the added info about the peeing issues concern me. Typically when a cat pees out the box (and doesn't have any history of it) it implicates a urinary tract issue; infection or crystals. I'm wondering if he may be blocked and that's why he was meowing. The cat pee smell may be due to just a little dribbling out and getting in his fur rather than falling into the litter.

I recommend that your watch his litterbox habits very carefully over the next several hours. If he's going in but nothing comes out, if he's meowing and seems restless he is mostly likely blocked. That's something that needs immediate vet attention.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

what r tthe crystals?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Cat

Location: Ohio, USA, North America, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way
Send a message via AIM to Duchess
I definitely agree that if you're smelling urine on him that a vet trip is a good idea.

I did want to share that I have one cat (Tigger) who I think just likes to hear herself talk. She walks around my legs, meowing (normally; not in a distressed way) and when we're on tile, she'll move ahead of me and start rolling around on it a little while meowing. Then, she'll come over to get some love for a minute or two and then go on winding, meowing, rolling, etc. She's a trip.

Tigger: "Meow."
Me: "Whatsa matter Miss Tigg?"
Me: "Yeah?"
Me: "What baby?"
Me: "That's what I heard, too!"
Me: "What honey? Is Timmy in the well?"

This kind of conversation can go on for an hour....
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Thats so adorable that ur cat talks to u.
We've seen him pee in his litter though could that still mean he has to go to the vet? I locked myself in the room with him and he went to his litter and pee'd. Some one told me he might hear the female cats outside and wants to go out? could that be too...like he's in heat or something?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Good I'm glad he went. Is he neutered? If not that could explain the meowing and the pee smell. At 7 months he's becoming physically mature, he has the urge to roam and go looking for ladies. And the peeing on the clothes is probably spraying. If he's not neutered, it should be done asap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page