Pooing RIGHT NEXT to the litter tray!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
stu
Cat

Pooing RIGHT NEXT to the litter tray!!

Hello,

We got our two boys about a month ago.
They're about 2 years old, and came from a home with 18 (yes, really) other cats in one room, so I imagine they had shocking facilities to use, and very much doubt there were litter trays.

Anyway, our two boys use the litter tray most of the time, but every few days, they will poo next to the litter tray rather than in it. They have done this with fresh litter, 2-day-old litter, you name it.

They're obviously not used to having litter trays around the place, given their background, yet most of the time they use our ones quite happily.

When I put paper down under the tray, they sometimes poo on that, and do the digging motion on the paper and rip it up.

Sometimes they wee next to the tray as well, which is very frustrating.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Stu.

"You gonna party like it's your Coco, gonna sip Bacardi like it's your Coco"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 11:46 AM
Premier Cat

Are your cats large? (around 12# or more)
Is your litter tray sort of small-ish? (barely big enough to squat in)
Does your litter tray have a hood? (a top/lid or taller sides)

Sounds to me like your boys are probably inside the litter tray but are hanging their back ends out of (over) the edge of the tray and just missing having their business landing in the litter.

Try a much larger litter tray, and possibly one with a lid to keep scratched litter (and the kitty) inside while they are doing their business.
Good luck,
Heidi

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Banned

For the first time ever, last week I found a pile of cat turds outside the litter box. They were neatly deposited on the litter mat just outside the door to the closet where the boxes are. I had been a bit negligent in policing the area, so I cleaned the place well, put in fresh boxes and fresh litter, and the incident hasn't been repeated. I don't know if it was an accident or an intentional statement, but it didn't look like an accident.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 01:22 AM
Cat Addict

I'd make sure that you have more than 1 litterbox. Sometimes there is a line for the box and a cat just can't wait. Also, some cats don't like to go #1 and #2 in the same box (one of my boys does that). So, you have to have 2 boxes for those cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page