Will my cat choose his bed over mine? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Will my cat choose his bed over mine?

Hi;
I have a 14yr old neutered male cat who must be confined to my bedroom at night (with a litter box and his food/water) due to issues between him and another cat in the house.

Because cats, as we all know are nocturnal animals, there is no way my cat is going to sleep quietly with me all night. As a result, I don't get a good night's sleep very often, and resort to napping at various times when I have a chance.

I am considering buying a bed for my cat, however not convinced he will ever use it when he has my bed to lie in, along with my warm body.
Somehow, I just don't believe that my cat will give up the warmth and comfort of my bed for his own, although the cat beds available appear to be very comfortable and warm.

Is there any way to get the cat to sleep in his own bed? If not, is there any way to get him to stop jumping up, lying in my face, then getting up again 1/2 hour later to repeat the cycle again?
It wouldn't be so bad if he would just lie there all night. I don't really have a problem with him lying up next to my face (so long as he puts his head closest to my face <g>), but when he moves around, he wakes me.

Unfortunately, I do not see a way to integrate my cat with the other two in the house. We have tried before, but he was so stressed out, I just couldn't let that continue. He is very happy spending his nights, and most of the rest of his time in my room.

Thanks for your suggestion/advice.

FW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Premier Cat

Kitties are very independent creatures. I couldnt interest my cats in beds I bought them even if I placed them in locations where they like to sleep!

Maybe you didnt give your cats in the house a chance to be introduced correctly? Sometimes it takes awhile. Here is a website with some info to glean from
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...tintroductions
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 04:33 PM
Cat

Location: Ohio, USA, North America, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way
Send a message via AIM to Duchess
I have to agree. We have kitty beds all over the house and the cats invariably choose to sleep with me or my roommate, rather than any of their beds (they do occasionally sleep on their kitty beds when we're not sleeping, but that's very limited).

I'm confused, however... you mention that you know he won't sleep all night, but then express concern that he's sleeping with you and not in a cat bed? I don't think that getting him a kitty bed will make him more likely to sleep through the night, if that's the issue... He's going to want to be able to DO things at night, if that's what he wants to do besides sleep.

I think Mitts & Tess is right that you need to see about getting them acclimated to each other. You'll never get kitty to sleep through the night if he doesn't want to; they aren't like babies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

Well you never know what they're going to do, the only way to find out is to buy him a bed. One way to encourage him to use it would be to buy a heated one. In my house, Holly & Kobi regularly use use cat beds, there are 3 in my bedroom and they use all 3, never know where they'll be...sometimes they even squish into one bed (I gotta get a bigger one for them). But, Maggie will never use a cat bed and is always with me.

But I agree, even if he sleeps in a bed, doesn't mean he'll sleep through the night. You can try wearing him out with a play session and a snack just before bed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 01:25 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug
You can try wearing him out with a play session and a snack just before bed.
This would be my suggestion as well. Try playing with him a bunch and feeding him a snack. He may settle in for a nice long night sleep.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 08:03 PM

We have 5 month old kitten that has been sleeping wth us at night. It has been almost 3 weeks and last night he slept the entire night for the first time--he was sleeping a fair bit of the time before but not like last night. It took a lot of patience but I'm glad we stuck it out. We realized after the first 3-5 days we needed to ignore his prods to play with us and wake us up. There is no longer anything on top of dressers he can knock down and plenty of toys for awake time.

It's awesome because now during the day he is so playful and awake! We played fetch 4-6 different times and he returns the toy for 15-20 throws.

Good luck

Leslie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page