Problems Starting with new cat..... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Problems Starting with new cat.....

Oh CRAP....here we go again.

First and most importantly, Tipsy is becoming aggressive with my 2 year
old son. I am right here to witness these events.
Completely unprovoked.
She will walk over to him from across the room and just swipe his legs or feet. He has SERIOUS scratches from this. He does not understand why kitty hurts hims, it is simply heartbreaking to see this happen.
He cries and cries. "Tiffy hurt me, Tiffy hurt me"

At first I thought maybe he did something to her....when I first noticed scratches I started observing very closely.
This is not play aggression....it is down right "I am gonna get you"
"I feel like clawing the heck out of you"

She crossed the line when she went for his face the other day.
The occurences are becoming more and more frequent.
This is now a daily event, sometimes twice per day.

So I have contacted the previous owner to see what she has in mind.
She can either take the cat back or I will find a new home for her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 01:26 AM

Sorry to hear that - that's a real drag...
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Well....I guess no one wants to say anything to me about this.
That is ok I guess, I assume most everyone will disagree with me
on what I should do or how I should handle this?

I am confused today....so I will just talk to myself here.
This morning Nicholas was talking with the cat all nice and nice.
It was so sweet, he sure does love her loads & loads.
(that is half the problem I am sure) This was about an hour ago....

So just now he went over, he did pick her up (she never struggles) I give her 2 thumbs up for that, she is actually very tolerant of being held.
Anyways, he carried her to the chair and put her down by me.
He went on his merry way, she jumps down and went after him.
This almost looks like she stalks him after the fact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoscosMum
Well....I guess no one wants to say anything to me about this.
Probably because in your first post it appeared you had already completely made up your mind. "She can either take the cat back or I will find a new home for her." You didn't ask for any advice about how to handle/change what was happening, you told us what was going to happen.
Also, less than two months ago you posted asking for support and then initially resisted hearing the experiences and advice people were attempting to share. Perhaps after that experience, no one really wants to 'spar' with you over things you probably will not like to hear.

That said, how certain are you that Tipsy is not playing with your son?
It seems to me, that because your son is getting scratched you think she is being aggressive. I am seeing an entirely different scenario, where the cat is not being aggressive and is only behaving as a cat, but then again my judgement is not clouded by having a child of my own experiencing the problem.
Your son loves Tipsy and she appears pliable to his loving attention, yet it seems she is constantly swiping his feet. Why? Could it be that cats are a 'hunting' animal and anything that catches their visual attention and moves erratically could trigger their hunting instinct? Don't 2yr olds 'toddle' and move erratically?
So, while that explains what I think is happening, it still doesn't address how to prevent injuries to your son. I would suggest: clipping Tipsy's nails and keeping your son in pants/socks/shoes and/or giving Tipsy other things to play with to distract her from your son's motions. I wonder if you could give him a leather string (doesn't get caught in teeth/claws) for him to drag behind him so she'll go after the string and not his feet...

post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 12:24 PM
Cat Addict

I thought you were looking for input. Considering that you were going to ask the old owner if the cat had exhibited this type of behavior before. That sounded like a good idea to me.

How old is Tipsy? Is she young? Is it something she might grow out of? Maybe soft claws are a good solution. If she's scratching and not biting, then it may prevent any damage. Do you think she's playing with him? When the cats play together they can get pretty rough...maybe she doesn't know she's hurting him.

Hmm...aggression is so hard to deal with.
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
That said, how certain are you that Tipsy is not playing with your son?
It seems to me, that because your son is getting scratched you think she is being aggressive.
Heidi, whether Tipsy is playing or not, the cat is making her son CRY for cripes sake. Doesn't matter if he is being aggressive or playing...he's not a match for the 2 year old.

Dawn, sorry I didn't reply yesterday, just saw the thread today. I fully support whatever you do....whether it re-home the cat or give it back to it's previous owners. Your son and his safety is more important by far!!
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 01:19 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather102180
Doesn't matter if he is being aggressive or playing...he's not a match for the 2 year old.
I think it makes a difference. You deal with an aggressive cat differently than you deal with a playful one. Regardless it needs to be addressed since the little boy is getting hurt, but it's still helps to know what you're dealing with.
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I love my pets Dawn, but our children come first. Most kittens like to attack our feet, but when it's a baby or toddler, I understand your concern. You can't have a cat that attacks anyone's face, especially a child's face. I would try some of the suggestions. The only one that would bring the instant result that is absolutely necessary is soft paws. Then you could try some of the other ideas.

However, there are cats who can't be placed in a home with dogs, other cats, or children, but can be a wonderful pet to someone who lives alone.
I hope you don't have to make that decision. I know how hard it would be. However, I agree with you. Your child (really just a baby) has to be kept safe!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 02:22 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather102180
Heidi, whether Tipsy is playing or not, the cat is making her son CRY for cripes sake. Doesn't matter if he is being aggressive or playing...
I humbly beg to differ.
It certainly does matter how the situation is handled depending on if the cat is playing (head up, ears forward and swipes 1-2 times with one paw at irregular motion and happens to use claws) or is aggressive (truly attacking with ears pinned back, tail swishing, mouth open and hissing while making fast/repeated paw swipes with claws fully extended) because the two scenarios I gave as examples need to be handled completely differently.

If the cat is attacking (I outlined an 'attack' above) then a pulled string for distraction and wearing clothing isn't going to do much for the situation at all. By the same token, if the cat is playing and accidentaly hurting the child, I would say banishment to an isolated room and a quick ride in a carrier away from the home (to anywhere) is also the wrong solution.

Regardless, her child is getting hurt, as you stated. She needs to determine how the cat is behaving and take appropriate steps for the particular situation.

post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
By the same token, if the cat is playing and accidentaly hurting the child, I would say banishment to an isolated room and a quick ride in a carrier away from the home (to anywhere) is also the wrong solution.
I didn't read where Dawn said she'd do those things to solve the problem. She said she'd take the cat back or find a new home. I don't see where that is a "wrong solution" at all. I think it's a very good one! Accident or not, the cat is hurting the child, bottom line. If anything, Dawn probably needs our supporting words right now, as she is having to get rid of a pet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page