Bathroom problems - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Bathroom problems

I have a female cat that is 11 yrs old, her name is Salena... For about a year now she has had a severe sinus problem which is treated with amoxicillen. She doesn't take is daily, only when it flairs up. That is about every 2 or 3 months. Since being diagnosed with this her appitite has increased, I'm sure this is due to the fact she constantly has diaherra and has lost weight and not put it back on. On Monday (Dec. 31) or Tuesday (Jan 1) she pooped under the Christmas tree skirt and I didn't find it until the 2nd after doing some sniffing around. I chalked it up to my son and his family visiting over New Years and them sleeping in the room her litter pan was in. So today (4th) I came home from work and she did it again under the tree but in a different place from the 1st time. I did make sure the smell of the 1st time was gone. Has anyone had this happen before? I had a 15 yr old male cat who urninated everywhere but the litter pan and when I took him to the vet he was diganosed with kidney failure. Does cancer do this to cats? or is there something else I can look into? Thanks for any advice......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 01:19 AM
Super Moderator

Is she currently experiencing diarrhea? It's possible that she's just not making it to the box and the tree is the best place to hide it. Or since having chronic diarrhea is probably pretty uncomfortable...gas pains, sore tush etc. She may be associating that pain with the litter box and avoiding it, much like they do when having urinary tract issues. Or if the box had another stinky, loose bowel movement in it, she may not like going in it again.

I think fixing the diarrhea may go a long way towards solving your problem. I'm assuming that you're thinking that the diarrhea is caused by the antibiotic. Does it get better at all when she's not taking the antibiotic? Has the vet treated the diarrhea? If so, with what?

Since antibiotics kill off the good bacteria in the gut, I would recommend giving her an acidophilus supplement. I would also give her digestive enzymes, they make it easier to digest so her system doesn't have to work so hard. You can give her slippery elm syrup, here's and article on the benefits of SE...the syrup recipe is at the end

http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=lib ... lipperyelm

Adding fiber to her diet in the form of canned pumpkin (no pie spices, just plain pumpkin) may firm up her stools as well.

She may have an overgrowth of bad bacteria in her gut as well and need a course of Baytril.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 01:28 AM
Premier Cat

Is the skirt still there? Did you clean with enzymatic cleaners & soaked the area to rid of the smell?

Maybe it's your family members coming along or it may be something else but make sure to clean the area or get rid of the skirt so it doesn't become a habit. Good luck & hope someone can help you with the diarreah issue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Many Thanks!

Thank you so much for your replies... After the 2nd time of moving her bowels under the tree she stopped. I did wash the tree shirt and washed the area very through, I found a "home remedy" way to clean carpeting that takes ALL the smell out! Plain old baking soda and vinegar, works like a charm. She still has diarrhea and I am going to get the slippery elm syrup today and see if that helps. It can't be good for her to have diarreha for so long. I personally don't want her to be suffering with any illness, I would rather (hard as it may be) have her put down. I'll keep you posted...and again many thanks... Anita
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 01:18 PM

I second what Doodlebug suggested.

A few things that seemed to help my cat's diarrhea were

1. A probiotic called Benebac which I got from my vet
2. Switching to a food that had brown rice in it. I don't know if it was coincidence or not but it seemed to help with bulking up their stool.
3. When I ran out of benebac I used this stuff called Immediacare G.I. from a local pet store. You can order it online too. It seemed to work well.

http://www.usanimalnutritionals.com/imm ... -cats.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page