Integrating cats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Integrating cats

I've had a cat for about three years named Poubelle. For a year she lived with another cat while I was living with my roommate and they eventually got along. A couple months ago I moved into my own apartment, so she's been living without another cat since then.

Recently I adopted my friend's cat, Zorro. I thought the adjustment would be okay since Poubelle has lived with another cat. However, Zorro is pretty shy and Poubelle is acting very territorial. I didn't take into consideration when I adopted Zorro that he doesn't have claws and Poubelle does. Will this continue to be a problem? I'm afraid that if Poubelle realizes that Zorro doesn't have claws then she will continue to bully him and he'll never be able to integrate into the home. Is this generally an issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Premier Cat

No.
I would make sure your kitties nails are clipped though just in case.
Cats are so territorial so, although she's used to other cats, it's not surprising she's not readily accepting the new guy.
How long have you had the new fellow? It can take quite some time for them to work it out so patience is key.

Victoria
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

It's only been a week, and I know it takes quite a while to adjust. I wanted to make sure that he was safe and Poubelle wouldn't take advantage of the fact that he has no claws before my friend moved away - just in case other arrangements need to be made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 12:47 AM
Premier Cat

We had declawed cats and brought in clawed cats in the past without any trouble and I know several people with clawed and declawed cats. I don't think it should be an issue at all. But clipping the nails under any circumstances is a good idea so there aren't any accidents.
If they are really having a difficult introduction you may want to separate them for while and let them get used to each others scent first. Google "cat introduction" or you can search here for specific info.
If it's just the normal hissy, swatty behavior, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Victoria
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page