Kitten not using litter box! Not all the time - once a day! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Kitten not using litter box! Not all the time - once a day!

Hi

I have recently got a 14week old female toyger kitten, she is a lovely cat except she has started not using her litter tray!

It first happened when she got ill, she had an cold/eye infection. This was fine got some eye drops of the vet. Since then tho she has started peeing on the bed, this only happens tho say at the most once every two days. At first i thought it may be the smell of the urine on the bed, but we kept out of the bedroom for a few days. After that we put a litter box in the bedroom as well, this seemed to work for a day or two, she used the litter tray in the bedroom to pee in the morning, then she did it again two days ago. Today she peed on the sofa tho as she wasnt in the bedroom.

Also the other thing i have noticed is that it only happens in the morning, when we are 1st waking up? I dont think it has anything to do with not wanting to use her litter as she uses that fine the rest of the time, and I am cleaning it everyday!

please help as its driving my girlfriend nuts and she is starting to punish the cat for doing it!!! is this good or bad, some people say you should other say not to???

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 09:46 AM

Has a urinary tract infection been ruled out by your vet?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

i did ask my vet about it and she said it would must likely be to do with a behavourial problem s it was only happening a few times a week, this was only over the phone and an examintaion did not take place. Shall i get her checked properly at the vets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

I would get her checked for a UTI. When I got Kobi he had a URI, which got treated and a couple weeks later he started peeing outside the box. It was only happening every couple days, combined with his age (also about 14 weeks), I thought it had to be behavioral. But after making many changes (adding boxes, changing litter, etc.) I finally took him in and sure enough it was a UTI.

Also, make sure you're using an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle and really soaking the area when cleaner. The enzymes break down the urine to eliminate the smell, otherwise the cat will still smell it even if you can't. Since she's been peeing on soft furniture, the urine will spread out in a pyramid shape the more is soaks into a cushion or mattress. So a nickel size spot on the surface may be a couple inches wide further down. Make sure to pour at least a half a cup of cleaner on the spot and let dry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page