Hello again! Back with a bathroom issue :( - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Hello again! Back with a bathroom issue :(

Hey everyone! I was a new member to this forum a while ago and then my hard drive decided that it was time to retire after a good life and lots of usage. Bummer, but it happens! Anyway, I lost a lot of stuff including my favorites and without the link, I forgot all about this awesome cat site!

I have a lot of reading to catch up on; I love just reading posts and learning more about other people's cats and the complexity of the cat psyche in general. You can never learn too much, you can never know everything!

I have several issues to post about, I will keep this post to just one of them. You have all been really friendly and helpful the last time I had cat issues to post about, I really appreciate it!

So here it is... We have three cats, one of them is a 7 year old male Himi/Persian named Tao (the kids named him and mis-pronounced it from day one lol - "Tay-Yoh"). His picture is up to the left. He is a wonderful, accepting, affectionate cat who never seems to have a problem with anything. A while ago he started having problems with his butt and his bathroom habits. He is very furry and long haired, which creates problems on his underside, matts and dreads have to be brushed frequently. Subsequently, he has a pretty furry pooper. He will come in sometimes from being outside (where they go to the bathroom) and have crap all over his butt and up the base of his tail! It's almost like he forgets to clean it (or doesn't want to) after he goes, and then just sits down on the whole mess. We keep him groomed in the spring and summer, but it gets cold in the winter and we don't want him to freeze and never go out. We trim his butt fur from time to time, usually at bath time, but he hates it like nothing else (the trim not the bath). It's the only time he has ever growled or hissed at us! Every time he comes in all crappy we have to wash him; he hates the increased frequency of his baths and thinks we are punishing him, and I am worried that we are washing him too much (skin/fur issues?)

I just don't know what to do, my girlfriend (his mamma) is sick of washing his butt all the time, and I am worried about how Tao is through all of this. We had the vet check him out to make sure it's nothing physical/internal and he checks out ok.

Might anyone have any suggestions? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Hi and welcome back!

As far as Tao goes....I would suggest a full on shaving rather than just trimming and if need be, have him sedated at the vet so the vet can do the shaving allll around the areas that get soiled. I think shaving might be the only have to keep the areas clean.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks for the advice! I didn't think they could actually shave it, but that would probably do the trick. Only thing is we would have to take him in frequently because his fur grows so fast. Would using clippers at home even be plausable? Trimming with scissors is pretty challenging as it is...

Our friend's sister works as a vet's assistant (I know, lucky us!) and we get hooked up on our visits. I'm more worried about making him hate us by taking him in too often. I will definitely ask her about it tho!

Thanks again!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

I have a very long haired cat (Maine Coon) and she only has problems with getting poop on her fur when she has diarrhea. I know that Tao goes outside, but you probably ought to see if you can check out what he's producing as it sounds like he may be having an issue. Especially since this is a recent development and wasn't an issue before now.

I do get Holly's butt shaved and it lasts about 3-4 months. Using clippers at home would definitely be a 2 person job.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 10:05 PM
Premier Cat

This is one of the things that I hate about longhairs. The poopy pants problem! Twinkie is medium hair but pretty furry in the back sometimes & I always get him shaved every year at least once. Even if it's cold, I'd suggest to get the cat shaved often. It's sanitary & healthy & much more comfy for your kitty. Your kitty will still have fur, it will just be like a very shorthaired cat.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Yeah, I would agree it's just way easier to deal with, for us and the kitty! We are getting him looked at tomorrow and he will be getting a trim too. I have been keeping an eye on his "deliverable" after he goes and it looks ok, I just think there's too much hair no matter what comes out. We will let the doc decide though.

Thanks again, everyone!

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know how Cinderella does it, but there's never anything on her butt. Ever. Cleo gets wet litter stuck to hers and I snip it off. Although the neighbors probably think I'm swinging her around by her tail by the way she sounds.

The twins have very long hair back there, but so far, so good.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 03:41 PM
Cat Addict

Tre (medium hair) frequently walks around with poop on his rear. It's SO gross. It only happens when he gets a soft stool...but since he's inclined to eat all sorts of bizarre things, this happens fairly regularly.

The week that he ate the hostess cupcakes was the worst.

I just check him frequently and then chase after him with wet wipes.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 05:22 PM
Cool Cat

Misty used to have a problem like that, and I would take her into the vet every 3-6 months for a "sanitary trim."

Lately she seems to be better (maybe she got sick of me going at her with wet wipes) but I'm still having her trimmed from time to time.

I don't know about other vets, but my vet's charges for a butt-trim is quite reasonable (they don't do butt-trim only for non-patients, but for patients you can bring the cat in for that and nothing else.) I figure it's worth the money not to have to try to do it myself, especially since I live alone!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

When I get my cats groomed, they'll do the butt patch at no extra charge. I had it done for Cleo, but she also cut the hair on the underside the tail, which I didn't want. She didn't have a problem there. It made her tail look stupid until the hair grew out more.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page