Midnight is eating the broom. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
Midnight is eating the broom.

Since she hasn't had a successful dash out the front door, Midnight has taken to chewing on our broom. The broom is like the one in the link: http://www.recaddy.com/ec/index.php?cPath=21. It's the one on the right hand side of the page.

Should I be worried? She doesn't seem to swallow anything she's bitten off, so I guess that's good. But is it safe for her?

----------
Renée
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 04:31 PM
Premier Cat

I don't know that I'd call it 'safe', but I don't think chewing it to bits is going to be too harmful uness she manages to ingest a lot of it. Regardless, if you use the broom, it must be dirty and I can't think that is good for her at all, in addition to the fact that the broom was not intended as a food item.
Is she 'eating' it or just 'destroying' it?
Can you keep the broom out of her reach?

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

If we remember, we do put it in the garage so she can't get to it. I guess since the bristles on the broom are natural hay/straw I'm not too worried. My guess is since she can't go outside and chew on the grass, she chews the broom instead.

----------
Renée
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 12:06 AM
Premier Cat

Oh! I thought she was 'destroying' the broom out of annoyance. I had a cat who would do that...

You can buy a product called 'cat grass' at the pet stores. I need to caution you, most of mine vomit after eating grass. We sometimes do a "kitty cat roundup" and let them out the back door as a group for a few minutes, supervised, and then herd them back inside. I think it is the long lengths of grass tickleing their tummy that sets off the vomit reaction.
To keep this vomiting down, I offer them chopped, dried catnip about once a week. Some eat it, some drool on it, some roll in it. But it may satisfy their grass eating urges and I've never had one vomit.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Thanks for the suggestions, Heidi, though I know that the cat grass won't work. My daughter had bought some for all three cats and none were even remotely interested. They all sniffed it and half-heartedly chewed some, but that was the extent of it. Well I get paid tomorrow, so at least I can get the kitties some catnip. They love the stuff.

----------
Renée
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page