New kitten gets cheeky - help keeping her inside! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

New kitten gets cheeky - help keeping her inside!

Hello all - we've been browsing for the almost three months that we've had our wonderful new kitty, and finally have a question of our own!

Our kitty Gracie is almost eight months old now - she's a very sweet blue British shorthair girl that we are all besotted with (me, hubby and teenage son). She has been absolutely great - polite, cheerful, playful, amenable to everything with minimal grumbling - weekly nail trims, baths, etc. Her only mischief has been sneaking bits of peat moss out of the silk plants sometimes and leaving it around the living room at night.

She was spayed at six months and is fully recovered, and we just finished having relatives visit for the holidays. Gracie seems to have become emboldened after the guests left - she's not as shy around our other friends and visitors anymore, she's more emphatic about letting us know when she wants to play or when she has an opinion, and now suddenly she's taken to rushing out the back kitchen door when we go outside. She particularly takes advantage of hubby when he is carrying a laptop or a coffee cup and is not as able to react so fast. (Luckily, it is not the front door which leads to the driveway and the street). We can and do close the deck gate, to discourage her from going on down the stairs to the back yard etc. The deck is about ten or twelve feet off the ground, with an iron decorative railing all around but there is a gap around the bottom and between the verticals, if she really wanted to jump, or, worse, if something startled her while she was out there and she bolted it would be a long fall to the ground and a very hard time finding her in all the plantings and hiding places...

I've read about tricks for keeping a cat in when you are coming into the house (spray bottle of water in hand, or compressed air sprayer, or dropping keys to make a loud noise...) but what's a good way to keep her from following someone out the door? We can't really ambush her on the way out - there's no room in the kitchen to hide so there's no element of surprise. Do we have to make the kitchen off limits? That would be a bummer. Does anyone have some tricks to suggest? "Sticky paws" tape all over the deck by the door?? Something smelly?

Thanks for your help! And we are happy to be here... Fran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome Fran.

Sounds like you have an awesome kitty. When you're leaving the house...if you're not carrying anything I would just pick her up, walk out the door and gently 'toss' her back in and quickly close the door before she gets a chance to turn around. If you are carrying something like a purse or laptop case, I would use that between her and me to shoo her back a bit, just put it down low and use it to scoot her back while you back out the door.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome! If you've been browsing, you know we're going to need pictures!

What I do with the twins is pick up some noisy toys (the little plastic balls with bells in them work best) when I pick up my car keys, and while I'm unlocking the door, I throw the balls in different directions and they take off after them. They may catch on someday, but for now it works.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 01:10 AM
Premier Cat

We have some door-dashers and we use our feet/leg to block the opening until we can squeeze out.
What works best, is being alert.
WHERE is the kitty? Is he/she in a place that looks like they are just waiting for the door to open? Toss something to distract them, or 'shoo' them away before opening the door.
BooBoo still manages to squiggle out before we can react, but any/all of our cats just run outside and begin to roll on the concrete or grab bites of grass. They almost always stop after a very short distance (less than six feet) and are easy to grab and put back inside.

Got piccies of Gracie?

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Hello everyone --

Thanks for the ideas! The noisy toy trick is a great one - we will be able to keep some 'toss-ables' on the counter right by the door...And I think we need to add a little table outside right by the door as a staging area for things being brought in, that will help. The kitchen door is all window, so hubby can see if Gracie is parked right there on the mat for a quick sneak around the open door or if she is lurking across the kitchen for a straight dash...

I've added a portrait of Gracie as my avatar, and I'll try and get some others , maybe in the 'newcomers' section?

Thanks again! Have a purry day Fran
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 12:52 PM
Banned

I wave my keys at Toby when I'm going in or out of the flat. He doesnt like the noise so runs away. I feel bad doing it but I'd rather do that than risk him escaping.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 10:22 AM

We used to use the ball-throwing trick on the way out the door, but also if you keep a metallic can of some sort with some change or other metal bits in it as a shaker, you can make a noise they won't much like and that should work. The toys option is better because it's more fun, though.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 09:06 PM
Premier Cat

If my hands are full and they follow me to the door, I stomp my feet and say, rather sharply, "Back, back, back, back, back!!!" Works here.

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page