Scared cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Scared cat

Hi:

I just got a Siamese female on Monday this week. Since she's been here, she's been hiding constantly. If I don't put her food and water where she is, she won't eat or drink. Since she's been here she has been hiding behind the toilet in my bathroom...this afternoon she started hiding in her litter box, which has a cover on it. I've been bringing her out and holding her as much as possible, and she was okay with that, however, today when I attempted to bring her out (twice), she jumped off my lap and ran back to hide in her litter box.

I have another cat...about 10 months...the new cat is about a year old, and the other cat (male) seems to literally love her, though she won't let him close to her. Mostly, he lays about 4 ft from where she is, not threatening her in any way. Her previous owner said she scares easy. There are no children, or other family members, just me and my other cat. What can I do to get her to come out?

I've done all I know to do, which is to hold her a lot. I don't know why she is withdrawing from me. She just started that today, and all I've done is hold and pet her and talk softly to her.

Really need help. I don't know what else to do.

Thank you,
nyknak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Premier Cat

Keep working at it.
You may want to give her a proper 'bed' area that is similar to the litterbox, but so she won't have to be IN the litterbox. A little hidey-hole. She will feel more secure in a smaller area. Perhaps just keep her in a bathroom with the door closed and visit her often. Pull her out and gently set her on your lap for soft petting and talking. Give her eye-blinks (slowly blink your eyes closed at her, or catch her eyes and slide your gaze away from hers) cats closing their eyes around another cat means; 'I trust you enough to NOT watch every move you make'.

When I am working with young ferals I have to push them a bit past their fear. I gently hold them on my lap and pet, scrubble and talk to them. If/when they relax, I loosen my hold on them but continue the petting. If they don't relax, I will continue holding them while I pet them and then 'put them away from me' when I am done. I don't want the kitty to learn to run from me, but learn it is okay to leave me. Ack, I'm not sure I expressed that properly. I also don't look at them when I am done. A direct gaze is considered 'forward' or 'threatening' until they trust you.

I also use food as an incentive to come near me.
I'd just say to give her time. What sort of situation did she come from? A home? A shelter? She may just need time to adjust and learn she can trust you and the other kitty. BTW, your other kitty sounds sweet and like he will become a good companion for her when she loosens up.
Keep us updated...
Heidi

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 10:15 AM

You'll have to give her time, too. It can take a while to adjust to a new place, with the unusual layout, sights, smells, noises, new cats and new people. Some adapt fairly quickly while others might hide in the closet for even weeks. They just have to get themselves comfortable and she'll probably ease into things of her own accord before too long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Robert.

The night after I posted my first message she came out for a short while and played with my other cat, Smokey, chasing each other back and forth. She didn't stay out long, but that was a good first step. Then this a.m. I awoke at 4a.m. and saw her in the living room playing with Smokey again. When I got up, she started to run back when I called her to "Come on Gizzy". So she came back out. This time she stayed out for about an hour and a half before returning to her litter box to hide again. She seems to be improving day by day now. I'm feeling much better about her daily improvement.

nyknak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page