Cats are territorial right? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Cats are territorial right?

Ive heard this many times. so, assuming that is true, why is my one cat alwasy wanting to sneak out? wouldnt/shouldnt she see it as not her territory and not want to go?

i thought of this just now... i remember a friend telling me this a while ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 01:17 AM
Cat Addict

We've got a "teenage" kitten who's just starting the sneaky stuff..!

For our kitty, I think it's a result of her feeling more and more confident and secure indoors, so she's permitting herself to be more bold and curious about what might be outside - maybe also the possibility of expanding her territory? Do you think that might be the case with your kitty?

Fran
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator

Cats hate closed doors. They always want to be on the other side. Until they're on the other side. Then they want back.

I think they're just inherently curious, too. But Cinderella was terrified the one time she got out.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 01:49 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73
Cats hate closed doors. They always want to be on the other side. Until they're on the other side. Then they want back.
Isn't that the truth!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 03:19 AM

Yep closed doors always mean 'I want it open now, but as soon as it is I'll walk away'.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 08:12 AM

Just like regular kids, the thing you tell them they cannot do is the thing they want most to do.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsofsmoggies
Yep closed doors always mean 'I want it open now, but as soon as it is I'll walk away'.
LOL isnt that the truth!!! even doors in the house!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Cool Cat

I don't claim to be an expert, but it's possible that your cat might see the area she can see outside the window as part of her territory (or at least a place she can potentially lay claim to) and want to inspect it more closely. My parents' cats growing up certainly saw the yard as their territory, but they were also allowed outside. I don't know whether a cat that was indoor-only would see the yard as her territory or not. My parents' current cat is indoor-only and clearly doesn't see the yard as his territory, but my parents currently have feral cats living in the backyard that Maverick can see through the window. They've been there since before my parents got him, so he knew the backyard was was already "taken" from day 1.

I think I've read that not every area is claimed by any particular cat, that some are more neutral areas. I live in an apartment complex and we have a small colony of ferals living in the complex, as well as the cats of people who live in the complex occasionally wandering around. So I assume the complex area is considered more neutral instead of belonging to any one cat. Misty and Stormy certainly feel free to wander and explore on the occasions when I let them out (or more frequently, when Stormy makes a successful door-dart).

Also, cats are very smell-based creatures. I don't know if your kitty can smell all the various markings and territory boundaries from inside the house. She may not know who (if anyone) the yard belongs to and wants to go outside to check out the lay of the land.

Or, if you don't have a very high population of free-roaming cats in the area, your yard may just not belong to anyone, all ready for your kitty to stake her claim.

Like I said, I'm FAR from being an expert in cat territorial behavior, these are just things that are crossing my mind, so someone please tell me if I'm totally off-base. Interesting question, though!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 11:32 AM
Banned

Interesting.

I don't think Toby sees the garden as his territory. We have a lot of cats around here - and its got to the point now when I know what cat will turn up at what time. Apparently (from what I have read somewhere) cats can share a territory but wont be seen to be there at the same time - so its kind of like a 'time share'. I got about 4 cats doing that in my garden that I know of.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

the most confusing part is that she is not allowed outside (except the few times shes snuck out for about 30 seconds until we got to her). but she still always darts to the door if she hears it open. but shes been outside before we got her, it wasnt kind to her. she was so hungry and sickly. why doesnt she remember that and fear outside? that would be ideal, then i wouldnt need to worry about either cat sneaking out.

is there a particular way to make them not want to sneak out?? i mean its freezing out and shes still right there...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page