Help with scared but non aggressive kitten - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Help with scared but non aggressive kitten

Alright, first off I'm new to the forums.
Secondly, I just picked up a foster kitten today from another volunteer. The kitten showed up on a neighbor's porch when she was estimated to be 4 weeks. She is supposed to be about 10 weeks or so now. Maybe 12 weeks.
She is a very nice cat, however she automatically hisses when anything comes near her. I could be holding her for an hour, and she's molded to me, but I put her down and she hisses. I put her in a crate and she hisses. She never does anything past that. I just go up to her as she hisses and she will not do anything mean or aggressive.
How do I make her more comfortable? I have been holding her for an hour at a time and she seems content. If I can't get her to warm up to humans she will end up in a barn program. I really don't want that for her.
Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 09:42 PM
Premier Cat

Keep working at it with numerous approaches and frequent handling. Eventually she should become desensitized. Perhaps offer her a treat at each approach and retreat where she has previously hissed. Try to offer the treat before the hiss to distract her from hissing.
Best of luck!
Heidi

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

She's just scared because she was moved to a new place today. Just give her lots of snuggles and keep things quiet and calm for her. She should be fine in a day or two. I'm assuming there's no other pets in the house, if there are, an introduction process should be followed.

Welcome to the forum! Do we get to see some pics of the little critter?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

I know I have to keep at it, and i will. I've only had her for 6 hours now. But I see hope in her. I just wish she would relax some so she could get a home. The other foster mom couldn't get her to the point of no hissing, but she had a lot going on and a busy household.
She has not eaten yet. I offered her dry and canned. She seemed interested in canned but too distracted by things. She is looking around though, which is good to know.
Thanks.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

No, you missed the point. i have her now because the other foster mom couldn't get her to the point of no hissing for about 6 weeks or so now.
So it's not just because she is in a new setting.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Is she out in the main part of the house? Maybe confining her to a room for a couple days will help her relax. Don't push her, just let her go at her own pace. I wouldn't really even try working with her for a few days as you have no idea if she's reacting to the move or if this is her normal personality. Even the most well adjusted cats get freaked out by a new home. My Holly came from a breeder where she was well integrated with the house. But leaving what she knew, her littermates and mom had her hiding under the bed for 2 days, the only time she would come out was if I was in the room or she wanted to eat or use the litterbox. As soon as I headed for the door to leave the room, she bolted under the bed. And when I came back in, no toys had been played with and she'd come crawling out, so I'm pretty sure she was under there the whole time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

We were posting at the same time...so let me revise a bit...

I still wouldn't push her until she gets past the move. She needs some adjustment time before trying to re-mold her.

It may well have been the activity level at the old foster home, Can you provide her with a more quiet environment to see if that does it? What was so active about the other place? Kids, other pets? You may need to experiment a bit to see exactly what sets her off, before you can work to fix it.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

This is definitely a more suitable home than the other. Too much going on between young kids, various dogs and cats etc. Which is why I offered to take her in to see what I could do.
She is in a very quiet place and confined. I wouldn't have it any other way, especially not initially.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 11:14 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Perhaps you could try feeding her on your lap. I would pet her as she eats. Try to make every interaction with human beings exceptionally pleasurable. This worked extremely well for me and a hissy barn cat I had. When she hissed, I moved the food. Then I'd put it back and continue to pet her as she ate. It took only a few days to stop the hissing. I hope this works well for you. Good luck.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 11:16 PM
Cat Addict

The product called Feliway (a plug-in diffuser) would help a lot, especially if you keep her in a small space, such as a single room or bathroom. Feliway is a synthetic cat pheromone which mimics the scent of a mother cat, sending the message that 'all is safe'. We used it when we got our new kitten, and she purred and purred from the very beginning...

Fran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page