Help with my two cats fighting! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Help with my two cats fighting!

My girlfriend came home from work at about 4pm Friday and before she put the key in the door she heard meeowing and banging from inside. She went in, came through to the living room where our oldest cat (Jack - 5 yrs) hissing and growling deeply at the youngest (Monkey - 4 1/2 yrs) from underneath the tv! Monkey has been meeowing like never before and jack keeps hissing and growling! We obviously seperated the two for about 1 1/2 hours and tried to introduce them to each other about 2 hours after and the same thing happened! The thing is.. they are both fine with us.. giving us kisses and attention like normal! They are still apart at the moment and seem fine. What's been going on? We've checked the house out and the windows were shut and locked, outside doors locked and everything seems normal inside apart from the odd broken nail and hair lying about. Help! They are both male and have been neutered. I slept in one bedroom with Jack for the past two nights and my girlfriend slept in another room with Monkey last. yesterday morning we decided to give it another try so put Jack in the cat box and took him through to Monkey. Monkey went straight up to the box and everything was fine. We let Jack out and everything was like nothing had happened.. for about 5 minutes and they started again. .. I spoke to the vet surgery this yesterday morning and was advised to keep them seperated until I can speak to our vet on Monday morning. Mmmmm... any ideas?
Update: 11:10am GMT Sunday Morning.... They are still separated and seem perfectly normal...

Cheers Neil.

P.s... sorry for such a long post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

Something obviously triggered a fight and the most likely scenario is re-directed aggression due to a cat outside. Here's an article that describes it pretty well.

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... acasestudy

You may need to separate them for a week or two and then go through a formal introduction process to get them back together. I'd recommend using Feliway diffusers, they're not miracle cures but they sure seem to help. I've used them and noticed the difference when they ran out. (Feliway is a synthetic cat pheromone that is a comforting scent to a cat).

I've been through this, it's not easy, you'll need a lot of patience but it can be fixed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Update.... and help needed still!

Update and help needed..

With reference to the above post the cats had been seperated for about a week until Saturday morning. We put Jack in the cat box and placed him in the hall.. then let Monkey out.. He walked stright towards jack and when they were maybe 3ft apart, Jack hissed and Monkey meeowed. This basically what happened before but Jack only hissed once this time and Monkey only meeowed once but did go fluffy and backed up. We seperated them again and both seemed to get over this ordeal alot quicker then previously. We did get a feliway difuser but not 100% sure if it's working.. They are both still absolutly fine with us.

Any suggestions???

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Cheers, Neil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 08:54 AM
Premier Cat

Neil, have you tried feeding them on the opposite sides of the door as the article suggests? I found that technique helpful for my cats.

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 08:37 AM

Get them the proper equipment so they don't hurt each other.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 08:49 AM

I all seriousness, mine do this occassionally after one or both make a trip to the vet. Roxy made a trip to the E.R. a couple weeks ago and Layla - who is normally the sweetest cat in the world - turned into a monster around Roxy for a couple days. It was the scent for the animal hospital and perhaps the medicine, I'm guessing.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug
Something obviously triggered a fight and the most likely scenario is re-directed aggression due to a cat outside. Here's an article that describes it pretty well.

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... acasestudy
That's a really interesting article, thanks for posting the link.

I only have one cat at home, but we were told at the shelter (where we got her) that she absolutely hates other cats... I'm always wondering what it is that makes her so angry (she's a totally different cat when she sees another cat outside)!

The article was interesting for me because it shed a lot of light on a cat's psyche... maybe it was an incident like the one in the article that set Milly off... and maybe her previous owner couldn't reconcile the two cats and so he/she decided to re-home Mils? Who knows...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

Light at the end of the tunnel...

Just to let everyone know...

as top post explains, our two cats decided to turn on each other way back on January 18th.. to cut a very long story short... after a very long process to re-introduce them including keeping them completly apart for about two weeks, us slepping in separate rooms with each cat and other introduction techniques (thought of by ourselves) they are nearly there!

They are walking round together like nothing ever happend! jack cleaning monkey and playing softly now and then! It feels absolutly bizarre...

We are still keeping them in separate rooms at the moment but everyhing should be back to normal by the weekend.

If anyone anywhere experiences the same sort of problems, we would be most willing to help in any way poss as "re-directed aggression" is not too common and most vets no very little about it.

Anyway... thanks for all the advice and kind comments..

Happy days...

Neil, Debbie, Jack & Monkey!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 07:45 AM
Cool Cat

Wow, what a long process! Thanks for the update, I'm sure this information will help others!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the update. Yes, it takes a very long time. With Maggie & Kobi I had them back together within a couple months but it was an uneasy truce at best. There were other issues going on between Kobi & Callie at the same time that didn't help matters either. It was well over a year before Maggie stopped detouring whenever she saw Kobi.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page